Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU fan always at max RPM

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
because thats what says in the manual...i tried to attach a pic...problem loading it will try again later

Edited by happyrck, 15 October 2006 - 01:30 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
pic...still wont attach photo...look in the connections or connectors section of the manual...you will find it

Edited by happyrck, 15 October 2006 - 01:49 PM.

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
I've just read the "Connectors" section, it doesn't mention anything about dual core CPUs. Where are you looking?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
in section 2.3.2 I tried at least 8 times to attach a screen captue of it to show you...won't work so you will have to look for yourself

Edited by happyrck, 15 October 2006 - 02:25 PM.

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
The only relevant part there is "...If you buy a a CPU separately, make sure that you use only an Intel-certified multi-directional heatsink and fan."

Is there a list of Intel-certified multi-directional heatsinks and fans somewhere then?

Can't find anything about dual core CPUs, why does that make a difference anyway?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Can't find anything about dual core CPUs, why does that make a difference anyway?

look in the manual....in section 2.3.2 ...they require it so my guess is it needs it

"
Is there a list of Intel-certified multi-directional heatsinks and fans somewhere then"

yep...... at intel's site
or when you buy one be sure to get a retail version...it will come with a approved heatsink and fan AND you will get a 3 year warrant on it versus the OEM version that has a 1 year warranty...it will only cost you about $15.00 extra

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Your Mb is setup to run a "Pulse Width Modulated fan on the processor. Heres some info on them.

http://www.performan...roducts_id=3977

You can hook a 3 pin header to a 4 pin connector but you lose the speed control. That is why it is so loud. It runs at full speed all the time. I have used enermax 80mm manual speed controled fans adapted to aftermarket heatsinks to get around this problem.

http://www.directron.com/uc8fab.html

This fan lets you run quieter until you need more cooling. then you can turn up the speed until you dont need it again. I cut the fan control wires and hooked them up to a old fan control rheostat i salvaged out of a scrapped computer so i could control it from the front of the computer.

SRX660

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
I think we have established that it DOES NOT say anything about dual-core CPU requirements in my motherboard manual.
As far as I am concerned, there can't be a serious problem with using a heatsink/fan which isn't "Intel-certified", as long as it is socket 775 I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Anyway - is the fourth pin on my motherboard for RPM control? Another PC of mine with an older Asus board has a 3 pin fan connected to a 4 pin header and the speed is regulated perfectly - but there is a "target CPU temperature" option in the BIOS, which there isn't on this motherboard (P5B).

Edit: I started typing this before SRX660 posted

Edited by tomdrayson, 18 October 2006 - 01:14 PM.