Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Old 95 wont read discs

• Please log in to reply

nevie

nevie

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I recently reopened the box that had our old windows 95 computer in it, because i needed it for some simple microsoft word documents for school. After setting the computer up,everything works fine, except it wont read discs when i put them in (whether they be games or audio) The disc tray closes and opens really slowly. It makes sounds as if its about to read the disc, then stops. If i go into "my computer" and click on the disc drive, it says it is not ready. Is there anything i can do to fix this? Is it even worth getting fixed?
Thanks
Nevie

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Will any PC read the discs

Can you set up a home network, if so, you can use synctoy for XP from my signature

Can you install the hard drive as a slave in another PC and get the data you need off

nevie

nevie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the help,
another question, how do i hook it up to the internet? Currently i am on the main computer, but if i wanted to have interenet access for the old one, do i use a router? Its an old computer, it used to be dial up.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does the router have more than one output, if so then check if you can install a network card

If the router only has one output, it could be done with a switching hub

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I recently reopened the box that had our old windows 95 computer in it, because i needed it for some simple microsoft word documents for school. After setting the computer up,everything works fine, except it wont read discs when i put them in (whether they be games or audio) The disc tray closes and opens really slowly.

Most likely an issue with the drive itself, many older computers with very old CD Units have no way of understanding blank media and CD-Rs.

As to getting it on the internet, it is possible to get Win95 to talk to a router - just install a very very old network card (otherwise you won't get any drivers for it), install an extra component into Windows and set it up to fetch IP addresses automatically.