Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC problem: missing or corrupt windows file

• Please log in to reply

supernoober

supernoober

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
When I try to boot up my computer, I get the message: "windows could not start up because the following file is missing or corrupt: windows\system32\config\system. Boot up windows set up with the original cd-rom and press 'r' at the first screen to start repair." I configured my bios to boot from the windows cd, but it does not repair when I press r. It just loads the windows file and proceeds to the microsoft windows Xp installation screen. I went and bought a new harddrive and set it as master, and my old harddrive as slave. How can I replace this corrupt windows file or fix it? I want to have my old hard drive as master. thanks

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi supernoober...

Is this a branded machine or a build? Are you using a recovery cd for this or a retail cd?

wannabe1

supernoober

supernoober

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
This is a build, and my cd is just the windows XP professional sp1 cd.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

supernoober

supernoober

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
I don't get that blue screen with those options. As I mentioned before, the cd just loads up the windows files until it goes to the installation screen. By the way, how can I get the bookmarks on mozilla from my old harddrive to my current master? I did not reinstall mozilla, I just copied the program fles from the slave to primary.