Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ME not a happy camper

• Please log in to reply

boxturtle

boxturtle

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have been running WINME for about six weeks,I have downloaded too many Q's&Kb's to count,I know when to throw in the towel! The time is now! I do not trust E-Bay type's and I want to install Windows 2000,That is the latest Micro. O/S my hardware will support,can anyone supply me with an OEM copy? :whistling: [font=Arial]

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You can't buy Win2k new anymore, plus mainstream support for Win2k ended last year and all security update support stops in 2010.

Depending on how old your computer is, Win2k may not run happily on it anyway and it may be worth skipping Win2k, replacing some hardware and either jumping straight to XP or waiting a bit longer for Vista next year.

boxturtle

boxturtle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank's I Understand all that! I have checked W/OEM RE: My existing hardware! I want someone to sell,"eh,eh" me an install that they have used!! I thought I made that clear.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Thank's I Understand all that! I have checked W/OEM RE: My existing hardware! I want someone to sell,"eh,eh" me an install that they have used!! I thought I made that clear.

well unfortunately that is illegal unless they are oem dealers and also sell you hardware AND still have Windows 2000 laying around.....

Matt T

Matt T

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
You could try Linux, it's a free Operating System. You can try a live cd out first to get the feel of it, google around and you should find some places that will send out cd's worldwide. Note that the live cd will be slower than a full install. :whistling:

~Matt

boxturtle

boxturtle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
:whistling: Thanks for the suggestion!

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Although i think you would be better off with Windows XP there are dealers that still sell Windows 2000. I bought a win 2000 cd from this site years ago without any problems. I do not know anymore about them as i have not had to buy anything from them lately.

http://royaldiscount...n...y&ovtac=CMP

SRX660

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Try your local computer store to see if they have any copies in stock. Since the OS will be obsolete in a few years it should be pretty cheap to get. Dont go with Ebay. You do not know who you are buying the OS off of. And as people in this post said, it is illegal.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
just as a clarification...there's nothing illegal about selling windows 2000 on ebay...as long as it's not IN use or USED....if it's a software dealer selling the OS (be it oem version or otherwise) then they are selling the product just like any other store would be selling it... i would never buy software on ebay (especially OS) that was listed as "slightly used" or "opened"...

boxturtle

boxturtle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank You ALL for the advice. My Financial situation prevents ME from doing the smart thing(up-grading my hardware or buying new),My OEM told ME WIN. 2000 is as far as my system will take ME. so I will drop back and punt for now. WE THE WILLING HAVE BEEN DOING SO MUCH WITH SO LITTLE FOR SO LONG WE ARE NOW QUALIFIED TO DO ANYTHING WITH NOTHING! :whistling:

SpectreNZ

SpectreNZ

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
What are your system specs?

boxturtle

boxturtle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
What is your interest? :whistling:

SpectreNZ

SpectreNZ

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
10% per annum

Edited by SpectreNZ, 12 October 2006 - 05:35 PM.

boxturtle

boxturtle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
If you would like to post something relevant,then by all means do so otherwise, Don't Waste My Time.

SpectreNZ

SpectreNZ

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
What are your system specs?