Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Office trial installation issue

• Please log in to reply

Extract

Extract

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Everytime I try installing office 2003 the trial version I receive a "fatal error during installation " meassage. Anyone knows what I can do about this problem. I occurs about 30 seconds into the installation and pops out of no where and the whole operation is just aborted after it happens hendering my installation from going any further. Would mean alot if anyone have suggestions, thanks.

Heres a pic to get a idea of what i'm talking about.

Posted Image

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you get the same with the trial of Office 2007

Extract

Extract

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
thanks for your reply, i'll try it. Could be a possible bug that couldv'e been fixed in this trial. Good idea Keith.

Edited by Extract, 07 October 2006 - 09:09 PM.

Extract

Extract

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
same thing doesn't work

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run disc clean up, look for Office installation files

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Try Office

Extract

Extract

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I DIDN'T WANT TO REINSTALL AND START FROM SCRATCH SO These steps(minus xp set up cuz i didn't do it) didn't help the problem I get the same error message. Is there a way of repairing Xp without starting all over, i like my current settings.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
A. You haven't installed Office yet, according to you because you get an install error, looking for Office installation files is to check it hasn't loaded files which are corrupt, or interrupting the install of Office

B. Nothing in post 5 deals with re-installing anything

Extract

Extract

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
oh pardon me i just thought since the xp cd was mentioned that i had to re install. I'm going to try the sfc /scannow method. But i don't have my xp disc it was preinstalled.

Edited by Extract, 09 October 2006 - 11:44 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No problem

If you clic sfc /scannow in post 5, it explains what it does

Extract

Extract

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
i did everything including the sfc /scannow procedure and still no results. You think you have anymore tips?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could look at repairing XP, which leaves your files as is, though it takes 1 - 2 hours

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you go for the repair, install Office before any updates

Extract

Extract

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
meh , u can close this. i have no installation CD.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can borrow a same version XP CD, use your product key, not the one from the borrowed CD

Extract

Extract

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
where can i get it from?