Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard and CPU

• Please log in to reply

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Now I know about computers and how to build them. I know technical talk and have A+ certification. I think there is just a simple thing i must be forgetting.
Recently I got for free a ASUS a7v400 socket a motherboard and a Sempron 2300 CPU. This is an upgrade from my old P3 so I decided to make it my primary PC. I also have a 120gig seagate harddrive and a 6600gt video card. I know i should upgrade motherboard and CPU but i can't afford to and I can run any games that i want to play so i am happy with this.

First I installed windows XP pro and everything worked. then i started getting all kinds of CRC errors. I thought maybe i had a virus and needed a format anyway so i thought I would reinstall windows. During the windows install i kept getting errors on copying files. I first tried changing IDE cables. Then i switched cd drives then harddrives. Nothing worked. I tried the same cd dvd drive and harddrive in my p3 and windows installed fine. So i thought maybe the motherboard IDE could be the problem so i switched motherboards No luck can't get windows to install. i put the old motherboard back and now the PC won't even work. It boots but i get no video. tried 6600 and onboard neither work. It is late and I am tired so maybe i am missing something simple and just don't realize.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Here is an update. I tried updating bios. Still errors i don't know what the problem is. I am wondering maybe someone else had this problem. If not are the cpu and mobo compatable. I went to ASUS website and they say they are.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The most common times you will see the cyclic redundancy check error message is when trying to read data from a damaged CD or DVD. Just before it appears, your CD/DVD drive will probably grind and whirl away - your PC may also become a little slugglish.

Less frequent causes are the result of system crashes, and buggy software (hello Microsoft), incomplete downloads (often identified by the misleading message 'This is not a valid Windows file', 'This is not a valid win32 application' or 'Corrupt Zip file'). If this problem happens frequently with downloads, try using a download manager like GetRight. For CDs and DVDs, the problem is a little different. Normally, when CD/DVD drives get a CRC message from a disc, they try to read the disc again - hence the grinding sound. After several failed attempts, they give up and display the redundancy check error. The problem can be hardware (loose cables, failing drive), software or damaged media. In most cases checking and cleaning the disc is the easiest way to overcome the problem. If different clean discs produce the same error, it is likely to be a hardware issue (check the discs in another drive). Another common cause of these errors is poorly burnt CDs and DVDs - especially those that had numerous or severe buffer underuns. USB burners suffer from this problem when the burn speed is too high (generally above 4X-8X)

If the discs are damaged, you'll probably need a recovery tool to get back your data. CDCheck 3 will work for CDs and DVDs. First it will check the media, and then you have the option to recover the files. It's free for personal use and has saved many people heartache when it comes to recovering lost digital images and videos from damaged CDs.

CD Check 3
http://www.softwarep...d-recovery.html

The only other thing i have found is when the HD has a bad sector that is in the middle of where windows was installed on the HD. Sometimes i will use a windows floppy disk to do a disk check on a drive when i have a hard time installing windows.

SRX660