Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

desktop access denied

• Please log in to reply

sivbala14

sivbala14

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i'm using a 512mb, 2.5ghz compaq presario
my problem is that, i did a system recovery because when i opened internet explorer nothig was loading. so after i did system recovery when it started the only thing that was on my desktop was IE and recycle bin. It said "click ok to close active desktop html". i tried going in safe mode and security and giving permission, and that allowed me to access c://documentsandsettings/Owner/desktop but it didn't allow me to access sub folders in it or any of my documents. it says cant access document for everythig under Owner. i tried many thigs and these documents are very important to me so please some1 help. thank you.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi sivbala14...

Try Taking Ownership of the folder. If you have XP Home installed, you will have to do this from the Safe Mode Administrator account.

wannabe1

sivbala14

sivbala14

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i have taken ownership and its working fine now, i can access folders etc., thank you wannabe. but i'm having problems with my sound system, cause wen i recovered it said trying to install my sound devices and it said it may affect comp in future so its recommended i stop installation so i did. any1 know how i can re install my sound devices?