Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changed Program Files default now OE dont work

• Please log in to reply

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi fellow geeksters,

I have upgraded my mother's computer and installed a 250 GB HD. I installed Windows into the first partition of 25 GB, and changed the default program file directory in the registry. The second partition is for Proggies, about 30 GB, as I recall. Two more partitions for pix and docs.

All went fine until I tried to set up Outlook Express and it won't start. I get a 0x8007007E,126 error code followed by can't start MSOE.DLL (I think that's the file, I'm going by memory here).

I have tried the instructions found here but no luck in changing the shortcuts.

I have also tried to reinstall OE/IE but I get the newer version detected : Process stopped.

OK, so I tried suppressing OE and IE from here but that didn't seem to faze XP at all.

Next I found a hint that by adding " /Q" (note the space) to the run command on the install.exe file you could skip the check for preinstall but that didn't work either.

XP is all up to date including SP2, but the disk I was installing from was pre SP2 so that came in updates.

Can anyone help me out ?
What information have I omitted that would make your helping me easier?

TIA

Digikiwi

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Digikiwi
You have done all I can see - Try this, Go all the way to the bottom for the last reply.
Same problem
Cheers
Peterm

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi PeterM

Thanks for your attention in this.

I had already read this thread already in researching the problem. However I do not have a "original XP SP-2 slipstreamed CD" in my possession. This is why I mentioned the XP-Home edition CD that runs on this computer is pre SP2.

If I need an SP2 copy is there some way to legally procure an XP SP2 CD as mentioned without incurring additional costs?

The other weird thing with that OEM XP Home CD is that it doesn't give me an option for a repair. Just install, add addtional components etc.

Am I missing something? I'm pretty sure I set the optical drive that the CD was in as the 2nd boot device in BIOS (after floppy) but I can check that when I'm overe there next. In the meanwhile I'm running the old HD and have disconnected the new drive.

I guess I could do a reinstall but since this was a clean install on a clean disk I fear that the problem might be replicated.

Cheers

Digikiwi

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
If you have an account that will let you download a large file you can make a slipstream XPSP2
Slipstream XPSP2

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Thanks PeterM, the slipstream process did the trick. Sorry for the long delay in responding, but I only just found the time to deal with that computer yesterday. Interestingly, when I booted up with the slipstream disk it gave me the option to 1) reinstall or 2) repair/recover. Chosing the latter led to a prompt asking for an admin password. Knowing there isn't one, I hit enter and got landed in DOS.

Then I tried the re-install which a couple of clicks further gave me another option to do Repair/Recover. This one worked.

I also tried changing the registry ProgramDir key again to make programs install in the D: partition. Fine, no probs - OE still opened. A couple of proggy installs later however OE started having the same problem as above posts indicate again. For now I have changed the registry to point back to C:\program files

I hope the above info might help other users.

Thanks again for your help

Digikiwi