Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shut down command ends in a RESTART on HP Pavilion zd8000

• Please log in to reply

Daranare

Daranare

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello all,

I own a HP Pavilion zd8000. it has three fans (lots of chat about this on the forums regarding heat etc).

Unfornately after an hour's use and using START>SHUTDOWN my laptop simply reboots, and I am only able to force a shut down with the power swith held for 4 seconds.

I have mailde HP for some supprt and they prompted me to upgrade the BIOS - I did this and the problem persists although I did notice that for the first time the third fan seems to come on after a while....

I have tried various POWER SAVING settings and also ran NORTON AV just in case.

This is driving me nuts because I dont want to damage my laptop by holding down the power

Can anybody ive me some guidance please? I would be very grateful

Mark.

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi Daranare. I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for.
Power off or reboot after shutdown
number 76
I have never had to use it.

http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm

Daranare

Daranare

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks 4238dwight, I'll get back.

Daranare

Daranare

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No apparent change seen, unfortunately.

Further advice from HP was to effect a BIOS reset, install an updated graphics driver, effect a Power Management reinstall then disable the Power Management.

These haven't sorted it either. I still get a reboot after choosing shutdown after having used the laptop for 45 mins or more from 'cold' i.e. since it's been turned off for some time.

From my non-techie viewpoint, it therefore seems to point to a heat issue, although I have, as mentioned before, seen all 3 fans working recently.

I am going back to HP but would much appreciate any advice/comments from here.

Thanks.

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
good luck with it and thanks for letting me know.

Daranare

Daranare

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OK, HP suggest I repair the OS using the CD that came with my laptop. I will try this in due course and update this forum if successful, in case any one else has similar problems. Unless anyone here has any ideas I can try first.

I ought to mention, just in case it gives anyone here any ideas/comments they wish to make, that I've had the laptop for about 6 months and the problem has only been for the last month or so. However, the FIRST time it ever happened was when I pulled out leads from various USB ports whilst shutdown was in progress. I remember this 'cos i thought just after that I shouldn't have done that!

Has this made anyone go aaahhh.....