Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes and problems rebooting

• Please log in to reply

mwdowns

mwdowns

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello everyone. :blink:

Got a bit of a problem here. Hoping you can help me figure out what exactly it is. This post will be a bit long. :whistling:

First, I'll give you the specs of my computer. AMD64 3700+ (San DIego), ASUS A8V motherboard, 1.3 Gig PC3200 RAM, 1 80 Gig Maxtor Diamond 7200rpm HD, 1 200 Gig Maxtor Diamond 7200rpm HD, NEC DVD R/RW drive, Sony DVD ROM drive, Elsa Gladiac 6600GT video card, Soundblaster Live! 24bit, 350W PSU, 1 chasis fan, Windows XP Home and Ubuntu dual boot.

Now for the problem: About a month ago I noticed my computer would not come back on after going into hybernation or suspension (whichever one that basically shuts down you computer, but allows you to turn it back on, without all the bootup stuff, with a short push of the power button). The computer would not come back on when I pushed the power button. I would have to hold down the power button and perform a complete system reboot. However, sometimes the computer would not reboot. The HDs would spin, the DVD drives would spin, the fans would come on, but the monitor would stay blank. I would flip the back power switch (the one connected to the PSU) on, off, on, off, on a couple times and it would catch and boot up. This happened a couple times, so I turned off the hypbernation option in Windows.

Now about 2 weeks ago, this same scenerio started happening again. This time, though, the machine was not in hybernation, it was running overnight with the screensaver on (the monitor turns itself off after about an hour). Same symptoms as above. The screen wouldn't turn back on and I'd have to beboot. I'd then face the same problem as above.

As of now, I can not get my computer to boot using the front power button. If I hit the front reset button, sometimes I get a beep and then nothing. Hit reset again, beep and nothing, again, beep and nothing, again, boots up.

Also, now instead of waiting unitl night time to crash, the computer will crash/freeze during BIOS bootup, during GRUB, while loading Windows, while loading Ubuntu, while using Windows, or while using Ubuntu.

A friend advised that it might be a video card problem. This distresses me cause I bought the video card less than a year ago. However, I took it out, and put in my old Radeon 9200SE (not a good card). I had the same front power button problems, but initially it seemed to work OK. However, after a while it started experiencing the same problems as above.

That's about it. My questions then are, is this a video card problem? Is it a motherboard problem? Is it something else? How can I troubleshoot this in order to figure out which is the faulty componant?

Thanks for your help. Sorry it was such a long post. Let me know if you need any more info.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
get speedfan here....

http://www.download....4-10067444.html

it will tell us what your temps and voltage's are....

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
I think you may be stressing your power supply, this looks like too much for a 350W Power Supply to handle.

--bmwboy

mwdowns

mwdowns

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, it seems like it wasn't as much stressing the power supply as much as it was indicating the power supply was kaputski. Switched out the PSU I was originally using with an older 250W PSU (minus one of the DVD drives and the floppy drive) and it looks like things are back to normal.

I guess I'll be ordering an new PSU soon. Gonna go with 400W version, just to take the stressing out of the equation. :whistling:

Thanks for your help.

PS. That Speed Fan proggy is nice.