Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP will not start up

• Please log in to reply

ErikZ5

ErikZ5

• Pip
  • 4 posts
When I turn on my computer I eventually get a blue screen that contains all of the text and only the text below:
"STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000142 (0x00000000 0x00000000)
The system has been shut down.

Then I have to hold the power button down to shut off the computer...
I have tried starting in safe mode and uninstalling any suspect programs in the add/delete programs menu in the Control Panel, I have tried to do a System Restore, as suggested in other threads similar to this problem, and I have also tried renaming My Computer and then restarting, also as suggested in other threads with this similar problem.

What else can I do?

PS... It is my sisters computer that has the problem and all of her discs that came with the computer are at her dorm at university far from home at thanksgiving... Solutions that do not include reformatting or using discs that came with the computer are needed.

Thanks...

E Zu

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The STOP 0xC000021A error occurs when either Winlogon.exe or Csrss.exe fails. When the Windows NT kernel detects that either of these processes has stopped, it stops the system and raises the STOP 0xC000021A error. This error may have several causes, including, but not limited to the following:
• Mismatched system files have been installed.
• A Service Pack installation has failed.
• A backup program that as used to restore a hard disk did not correctly restore files that may have been in use.
• An incompatible third party program been installed.

The above from the microsoft article,
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;156669

I have also had this error happen when i had a motherboard chipset start to go bad and i started having problems with the keyboard and mouse. One computer did this with a SR2 service pack install. Another computer had this happen with a bad Nero cd burning program install from a deeply scratched CD. Two computer i was able to correct the problem (nero, and SR2) but two other computers i ended up reinstalling XP on them. One i replaced the motherboard and another was a repair install after the owner tried fixing the computer himself( no hardware changes were done, just replaced bad files).

SRX660

ErikZ5

ErikZ5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
So what did you do to successfully fix the problem in the 2 instances you mentioned?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
With the nero problem the computer finally booted to windows XP so i uninstalled nero and deleted the nero folder left over. I then installed Nero 7 from a new nero CD. The computer has been running fine since then. In the SP2 update problem i was able to get into safe mode and use the uninstall files found in the system 32 folder to delete the SP2 install. That computer is running with SP1a update and i told the people to not update the comuter anymore. Since they have had the computer (Intel 2.4-533 bus) for almost 2 years they are going to buy a new puter for christmas. There has been some minor problems with leftover detritus from the uninstall. Icon in the taskbar, and some files and folders left over. Just gotta love windows, EH!

SRX660

ErikZ5

ErikZ5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeah... hatin' Windows right now.. my girlfriend just got a Mac and its ultra sweet and problem free... Anyways...
I don't think the problem my sister's computer is having is related to either Nero or a Service Pack install... I have a feeling it has more to do with an MSN virus or some other teenage girl type problem... I'm guessing its one of those 'incomplete third party program has been installed' problems...

Any other suggestions as to how I can get this blue death screen error to stop occuring?