Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BF2 stalls and crashes

• Please log in to reply

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Okay, so like a month ago BF2 started to crash, I thought no biggie, my computer has been kind of weird and I think some viruses messed it up. I have every backed up and whip the whole system and start a clean slate. Reinstall BF2 and patch it up and it still crashes? Oh boy...

So I turned it down to medium (which helps but I think I should be able to run it on high :whistling: ) and it crashes less but recently I've started to get "stalls". My FPS will all of a sudden drop to 1 from 88 and I'll be moving very slowly anywhere from 10-20 seconds. Then once I return I'm either dead or way off somewhere. Usually after that the game crashes two minutes later but sometimes not. I've reinstalled my graphics drivers, tested my RAM, dusted out fans and the heatsink of the GPU and CPU. What gives? It never used to do this and I used to play for hours on end on the highest settings. Now I'm lucky if I can get 30 minutes without crashing.

I'm really suspecting its my videocard and I'm thinking I should RMA it but lets see if you guys can help.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
are you playing any other games? do you have any other issues?

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Did you have any chance to update your video card? That might be it. And also, what video card do you have? You know BF2 is super picky with the video card.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

are you playing any other games? do you have any other issues?

I play Call of Duty 2 and Counter-Strike Source. This doesn't happen.

Did you have any chance to update your video card? That might be it. And also, what video card do you have? You know BF2 is super picky with the video card.

What do you mean a chance to update it? Like drivers..? I have the latest and reinstalled them.

My specs are in my sig: CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Hard Drive: 250GB Serial ATA, GPU: BFG GeForce 7800GT OC, RAM: Mushkin Blue Line 2x512 MB PC3200, Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI NVIDIA Socket 939 ATX.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
The only thing I can recomend is a complete uninstall of the game, making sure that you delete the install directory. Then reboot and reinstall. Patch to 1.4.

This works most of the time and is what EA recomends as well.

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
He did reinstall BF2 and patch it to 1.4.

Okay, so like a month ago BF2 started to crash, I thought no biggie, my computer has been kind of weird and I think some viruses messed it up. I have every backed up and whip the whole system and start a clean slate. Reinstall BF2 and patch it up and it still crashes? Oh boy...

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
And I've even reinstalled it 2 times since the reformat!

(One and the last I completely wiped BF2 from the registry!)

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
See if it still happens when you close down Explorer.exe in the process list.
It's not a logical solution for your problem, because you probably didn't shut down explorer.exe in the past.
Anywayz, it will surely decrease the RAM in use, so therefore, you keep more RAM for the game.

Just a weak tip, worth trying.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
The explorer.exe file is the system process for the windows GUI (desktop, taskbar, start menu, windows explorer etc etc) and should not be terminated.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I've done it before then once you quit the game just start it up again. :S

Trust me though, I got enough RAM. :whistling:

Edited by Comrade General, 11 October 2006 - 05:59 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
hmmm.... when it crashes does it give a specific error message?

You can download SpeedFan
http://www.majorgeek...oad.php?det=337

this will show system temps and voltages. You can even run a log to record what happens when your playing bf2. What happens is that when you play bf2 you are stressing your system. It could be heat, voltage, or something else. This will be a good start to ferreting out the culprit.

when you tested your memory what did you use?

_MiG_

_MiG_

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Are you running your graphics card overclocked? Try setting it back to stock, and see how that goes. It could be that bf2 is causing such a load that you're getting minor power fluctuations to/in your card, that overclocking 'picks up on', that wouldn't bother it otherwise.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

hmmm.... when it crashes does it give a specific error message?

You can download SpeedFan
http://www.majorgeek...oad.php?det=337

this will show system temps and voltages. You can even run a log to record what happens when your playing bf2. What happens is that when you play bf2 you are stressing your system. It could be heat, voltage, or something else. This will be a good start to ferreting out the culprit.

when you tested your memory what did you use?

Nope, it just crashes. Just closes and thats the end of it. :whistling: I'll post the log next time I play BF2.

Are you running your graphics card overclocked? Try setting it back to stock, and see how that goes. It could be that bf2 is causing such a load that you're getting minor power fluctuations to/in your card, that overclocking 'picks up on', that wouldn't bother it otherwise.

No overclocking for me. :blink: