Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

restarting

• Please log in to reply

iTearThisDwn

iTearThisDwn

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi, for some reason my computer keeps reastarting randomly and i was wondering if anyone knows what the problem could be or has any suggestions. at first i though it was overheating so i took the side off and felt it and it was extremely hot so i put 2 new fans in and the tempreture seemed fine ever since but the problem still happens. it restarts randomly and i havn't seena pattern but if i leave it off for a few days it seems to not do it for a while. please if anyone can help im very greatfull.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
so when it restarts it just does it on a continous loop or does it stay on long enough for you access websites and such

are you able to do a Ctrl..Alt...Delete go to process and how much cpu usage does it show in %

iTearThisDwn

iTearThisDwn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
yes i have plently of time to visit websites usually about 7-20 mins usually but rarely it can restart while its logging in. my cpu usage is flicking from 0-2% i know it could be alot of hardware problems but i was wondering if it could be software or a setting causing it. my computer is almost 5 years old now so i wouldnt be suprised if it was just nakerd

Edited by iTearThisDwn, 09 October 2006 - 02:05 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
TRY THESE

1--The first thing to do is to stop reboot on error. To do this do the following;
Right-click My Computer and click on Properties.

Click the Advanced tab.

Click the 'Settings' Button in the 'Startup and Recovery' section.

Under the 'System failure' section uncheck 'Automatically restart' and check 'Write an event to the system log' box.

The next time the system fails have a look in the Event log for any problems to pinpoint the cause.

N.B. If you see a box that mentions that the system will close down and reboot because of a system or RPC error, or similar wording, you probably have the blaster infection, check with any AV site for instructions on removal and to protect from future infections.

2--Make sure all your drivers are up to date. Especially your chipset and video drivers.

iTearThisDwn

iTearThisDwn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
thx alot for taking the time to help me and everytime it happens i get these two error report at the same time but i dont know what it means :whistling:

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
Event ID: 6005
Source: EventLog
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_EventlogStarted

Explanation
This event is written at system startup after the user initiates an expected restart or shutdown by clicking Start or pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then clicking Shut Down.

If the persistent Time Stamp group policy setting is either enabled or not configured, system information is written to the data section of this event. This information includes the name and version of the Windows Server 2003 operating system and the computer's make and model.

If any of the sources for this information are unavailable, or if their contents are unreadable, their corresponding fields display <unknown>.

User Action
No user action is required.

Version: 5.0
Component: System Event Log
Symbolic Name: EVENT_EventlogStarted

Explanation
This event is written at system startup after the user initiates an expected restart or shutdown by clicking Start and then clicking Shut Down, or by pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE and then clicking Shut Down.

If the Persistent Time Stamp group policy setting is either enabled or not configured, system information is written to the data section of this event. This information includes the name and version of thw Windows operating system, as well as the computer's make and model.

If any of the sources of this information are unavailable, or if their contents are unreadable, their corresponding fields display .

User Action

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently there are no Microsoft Knowledge Base articles available for this specific error or event message. For information about other support options you can use to find answers online, see http://support.micro...om/default.aspx.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
Event ID: 6009
Source: EventLog
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_EventLogProductInfo

Explanation
The user restarted or shut down the computer by clicking Start or pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then clicking Shut Down. The message displays the Windows product information for the computer logging the message, including the product name, version, build number, service pack number, and operating system type.

User Action

Version: 5.0
Component: System Event Log
Symbolic Name: EVENT_EventLogProductInfo

Explanation
The user restarted or shut down the computer by clicking Start or pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then clicking Shut Down. The message displays the Windows product information for the computer logging the message, including the product name, version, build number, service pack number, and operating system type.

User Action

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently there are no Microsoft Knowledge Base articles available for this specific error or event message. For information about other support options you can use to find answers online, see http://support.micro...om/default.aspx.

Edited by iTearThisDwn, 10 October 2006 - 02:43 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try this

go start right on my computer and open it .....on c drive right click and click on properties select tools then click on check now make sure both boxes are checked then click start

if a black pop appears dont be alarmed you should see a flashing white bar ..type the letter y for yes hit enter reboot

let this proccess go through 5 stages

Edited by rushin1nd, 10 October 2006 - 10:13 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
Another cause for random reboots is that the computers processor is getting too hot. To check this, enter the computers bios during boot (usually by pressing Delete, F1 or F10 when the computer just starts) and there will be an option about the computers temperature (often under "PC Health").

This should show you the current temperature of the computer and the emergency shutdown temperature. The emergency shutdown temperature is a safeguard for when your computer gets too hot it will shut itself down to prevent damage.

You can either raise the shutdown temperature or switch it off completely, however be warned that you may damage your computer (or the clients) if the computer gets too hot. If the temperature was causing the reboots then you should consider getting better cooling for the computer such as more powerful CPU fans and more case fans.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When a reboot occurs from within Windows XP, your computer will totally restart without telling you what caused it. This is the default behavior when Windows XP encounters a system failure.

To see what the error was you can change the default behavior by right clicking on "My Computer" and choosing "Properties". Goto the "Advanced" Tab and under "Startup and Recovery" press the "Settings" button.

Under the "System Failure" box there will be a checkbox saying "Automatically Restart". Untick this box and click Ok.

Next time the system has a failure it will show the Windows error blue screen (also known as BSOD, Blue Screen of Death) and it will have an error code, grab a piece of paper and write this code down.

It may look something like this: Stop 0x0000000A or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

iTearThisDwn

iTearThisDwn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
thx for the help guys i did the c drive repair thing but it still restarted so i tried to see if it was set to shut down at a certain tempreture but i couldnt see a setting. i hav a phonix bios somthing and also it never shows a BSOD when it is set to do so.