Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer broken

• Please log in to reply

Mr. Jack

Mr. Jack

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Well one day I got up and turned on my computer, and the welcome screen came up as usual, and I logged on like normal, and nothing seemed to come up, no desktop icons, or start menu tool bar. So after I figured out that it wasnt going to start up, I went into the task manager and tried to run Windows Explorer from there, I see the little start menu tool bar pop up for about half a second, and then it dissapears again. And I am left with just my backround again. My computer runs a normal speed, I scaned for viruses and spyware. It is running just the way it was before it broke, except nothing will start up. I went into safe mode, it still does the same thing. I messed around in msconfig and nothing happened.
I have been searching for a help for a few weeks now. And I am pretty sick of running my computer with the task manager and deleting all my files through my flash drive because I cant empty my recycle been.

If I could get some help that would be great.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
is there a way you can get to control panel ...system...hardware..device manager...see if theres any yellow marks in sound vidoe and game controllers

if there are right click the one you see and click update

or if its possible can you do a system restore to a earlier time computer was running good

Mr. Jack

Mr. Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Yes I have checked the drivers and no there is no yellow marks.

And when I try and do the system restore, it says it has been turned off by a group policy or something..

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
clean your prefetch folder GO START...CLICK RUN...TYPE IN... prefetch ...CLICK OK..EDIT..SELECT ALL ..ON ANY BLUE FILE RIGHT CLICK THEN DELETE.............go to your tools menu at the top of your page select internet options delete cookies... delete files including offline put check mark click ok then close by clicking apply then ok.....go start..... all programs....accesseries...system tools....disk defragmenter.....just defragment ......

when your done that do this

go start right on my computer and open it .....on c drive right click and click on properties select tools then click on check now make sure both boxes are checked then click start

if a black pop appears dont be alarmed you should see a flashing white bar ..type the letter y for yes hit enter reboot

let this proccess go through 5 stages

Mr. Jack

Mr. Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Yeah that would work, but the only problem is that I dont have Windows Explorer. So when I run it cant start it up.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
did you recently made any upgrades like upgrading service pack 1 to service pack 2

You could try this

when your system halts on the desktop, press control-alt-del, select users tab, disconnect and logoff the current user, then reboot the system.

Edited by rushin1nd, 09 October 2006 - 06:59 PM.

Mr. Jack

Mr. Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Yeah...thats kind of an obvious solution. And yes, I have done that many times. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Edited by Mr. Jack, 10 October 2006 - 02:01 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try this repair.........

fixdesktop.zip

edit: repaired link

Edited by rushin1nd, 10 October 2006 - 11:19 PM.

Knight_Wolf

Knight_Wolf

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
or you can always format ur hard drive provided you hav backup

Matt T

Matt T

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
Reformatting of a hard drive is only meant to be used as a last resort. It is not a good idea to reformat your hard drive unless you really really need to. If you need to you will be told by Staff to.

~Matt

Mr. Jack

Mr. Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hmm yeah that didnt work....

Time to re-format?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
if you got the xp cd and it has a repair feature on it then use the repair then once the repair is done run windows updates

you wont lose any important data repairing your dsektop

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

all of this will eliminate problems

Mr. Jack

Mr. Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
When I do the sfc/scannow, it just sits there saying its verifing to see if the windows files are still are there.

I have tried the windows repair thing, and an error message comes up in the middle of it.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
well i guess your next move is to reformat sounds like some things are realy damaged or corrupt

good luck