Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I think I need to make a batch file?

• Please log in to reply

rogerbid

rogerbid

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hi, I am not sure where this should be posted so if it needs to be elsewhere can a moderator redirect it please?

My computer is one on a network, and all the users files are saved on the server. There is one file I often need to refer to and which is always in use by another network user meaning I cannot access it. Attempts to open it get the message "The document may already be open or it may be a read-onlydocument."

I do not need to see the 'current' version of the file - the file as it was at the close of business on the previous day will be adequate.

I thought there might be a way to create a batch file to run on my PC every time it boots up, that will save a copy of the file on the server to my PC that I can then access during the day. This will save me having to remember to do it manually since there is always a 15minute window between my booting up and the other user arriving at work and logging on.

Is what I plan feasible or am I way off the mark?

Any suggestions will be appreciated, and if I am basically correct maybe someone can direct me to a site with instructions on how to proceed.

Thanks, Roger

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what file format? excel, word, access?

rogerbid

rogerbid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hi and thanks for the reply.

The file is a Works 6 database file *.wdb

Thanks

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you need to redesign the db so that multiple people can access it at the same time. How this can be done varies on the individual db.

rogerbid

rogerbid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hi and thanks, I think!

Not sure how I go about this so maybe I should just get into the habit of copying the file manually before the other user logs on and opens the file!

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Roger