Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disabling Change of Wallpaper

• Please log in to reply

haggis00

haggis00

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i am a tech coordinator for an elementary school and have been trying to find a way to stop this. i have removed the display tab from the desk top and removed access to the control panel through group policies. but students can still right click on a picture and use the "set as desktop wallpaper..." option in the menu.

does anyone know how to stop this?

We use Windows XP Professional. I have a roaming profile configured for the student to use.

Any thing else i can tell you to help me, please ask.

thanks
haggis

Advertisements

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Make a simple file that will default the wallpaper after reboot.

haggis00

haggis00

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I am able to set the wallpaper easily, i'm just not able to stop people from changing it once signed in.

This is a problem as some students spend entire hours simply switching their wall paper.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Usually you can't stop people from changing it while logged in, as there's more than one way to do it. As the kids have found out :whistling:

This can be done with Firefox (see http://forums.mozill...c.php?p=1125977 for that) - in fact you can switch the entire context menu off altogether with this browser if needs be.

For Internet Explorer though, try this:
http://www.edugeek.n...u...opic&p=8844

And then to disable the option in Paint (where on the File Menu is an option "set as [wallpaper] background", you can either get rid of Paint altogether from each individual machine, or use something like this to disable the menu option altogether:
http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

Note that when playing with this program under XP, Paint lives in the Windows/System32 folder. If you modify the paint program and save it straight back into System32, System File Protection will replace your modified Paint with the original program. If you copy mspaint.exe to somewhere else, modify that and then copy it back, it should stick. Modify one copy of mspaint.exe as needed and then copy it onto each system.

Edited by Neil Jones, 09 October 2006 - 04:15 PM.