Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fresh install of 98

• Please log in to reply

Soul Of Cerberus

Soul Of Cerberus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for all the help nick, I'll mess with it more a lil tomorrow.. I tried copying the files from the floppy onto a cd but that still didnt work oh well its highly appreciated all the help that you have given me.. thank you!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Soul Of Cerberus...

Are you using a Win95 Startup floppy or a Win98 Startup?

wannabe1

Soul Of Cerberus

Soul Of Cerberus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Windows 98 Floppy boot up disk

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I don't know if we can pull this off or not, but let's give it a shot.

First let me make sure we're on the same page. Have you created the Primary DOS Partition and set it as active or are we still at a raw partition that needs to be set and formatted?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
I think he said that when he trys to start up to the prompt with or without choosing cd rom support, he gets a error message about something with the CD-DRIVERS not installed.

Thats why I mentioned a 98 Boot up CD instead.

I will be watching this post as I wanna see if theres a solution.

Soul Of Cerberus

Soul Of Cerberus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Okay, guys thanks for the help I see we have another contestant wanting to give it a shot.. Okay..

Yes I have created a primary dos partion and it is set to active and it just wont find my cd drive and as i mentioned earlier that I only can boot into floppy not cd-rom..

And a boot cd will probably not work being that it can't boot from cd

Oh and one more thing boys.. Err... I'm a girl x_x? but does'nt change anything from me knowing anything different...

Thanks!

Edited by Soul Of Cerberus, 09 October 2006 - 08:58 PM.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Oops... sorry for insulting you didnt mean any harm in anyway.

Ok Now im very eager to solve this problem and we will get it solved.
Will research tomorrow as I need to get some sleep.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you formatted?

When you do the following, watch while the boot disk is loading...it will tell you what letter it sets for the RAMdrive. That will tell us where the cd-rom will be...let me know for sure, but I'm betting it will be D: and I'll base the commands on that assumption...we can modify them if I'm wrong.

Boot to the floppy and choose the option to Start with CD-ROM Support. It should load a bunch of drivers and take you to the command prompt A:\. At this point, remove the floppy drive and put the cd-rom in...insert the Win98 cd.

At the A:\ prompt, type e:setup.exe and press "Enter". Does this start the installation or generate an error?

Edited by wannabe1, 09 October 2006 - 09:09 PM.

Soul Of Cerberus

Soul Of Cerberus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Okay I have tried the start with cdrom support like i explained before it says "No drives found, Aborting Instalation"

and i did the whol e: thing umm i dont quite remember what exactly it said but it was an error I think it was the one that said wrong command type..

edit

it says invalid drive specification.

Edited by Soul Of Cerberus, 09 October 2006 - 09:19 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I was off doing a little research of my own.

Have a look at the information HERE (DOScdrom) regarding the creation of a bootdisk (cd) with cd-rom drivers for just your situation.

Advertisements

Soul Of Cerberus

Soul Of Cerberus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
OKay thanks for all the help.. Thats alotta reading to do.. And I am ready for bed actuallyso I will mess with it in the morning and see what happends and post it up onto here..

I would love to do it tonight being that you are on and you can help me more but it's just to much for me right now under so much stress with this computer that I just want to throw it in the trash...

Thanks again you guys been wonderful! I will be back tomorrow if all goes well and dont get tied up with other things~

~Goodnight~

~Crystal

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm around here somewhere everyday... :whistling:

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Same here.

Im still researching your problem. me or wannabe1 will get you up and running asap

Soul Of Cerberus

Soul Of Cerberus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hey Nick and WannaBe1 Well that solution that you found wannabe didnt work out..

I'm just going to forget about it for now and when I come back from out of town I will get the external CD Drive for it and see if that works.. If not I will just sell it back to the pawn shop and get what I can for it..

Thanks you guys so much you were a very good help to me and nick I wish you the best in school and your studies you look like your going to go far into computer technology stuff so good luck to your future!

Thanks again both of you if the cd thing does'nt work out I will post up here with further information and maybe then we can all come up with a solution.. It will be awhile till I go and get it tho'

Bye Bye!

Matt T

Matt T

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
You could try Linux instead of a Windows OS. It includes basic office applications.

~Matt