Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win98 issues?

• Please log in to reply

SVDtiger

SVDtiger

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
hello im new here as of today and happy to be here. i followed procedures outlined on entrance to forum. it took me 12 hours as im very sight challenged user now and have truly awful dialup isp.

my machine even passed jasons tests except for some of the java app
tests which i expected. i run tiny firewall and have had adawre and spybot since their begining. i could not get panda to run since i run firefox. nor would the trend online av program. i even unloaded bitdefender and tried twice more but no go for an online av scan. so now im unsure if i have issues or not. im sure i do but i mean the vernerable p3 :whistling:

i am now as i have always been security minded. even moreso since my sight loss as its much easier to blunder into probs on net and go places sane folk should not venture due to total boredom. i had tried to use a few adaptive/assistive softwares ie: screen readers and voice to text. but had to unload them when they expired or floundered. since then my machine posts twice on loading and that bugs me. paranoia?
maybe, well ok yes.

none of the suggested programs found anything except adaware and it fixed easy. did find my copy was from 04 and not 06 i was just hoping someone would take a look at my results and let me know what i can remove and if anything in it might make me post twice on boot

one last thing for now aand ill post log file. within the gtg community could you refer me to anyone that is sight challenged that might guide me on assistive wares?? that would help tremendously.

thank you for having me here. and here is log.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:17:21 PM, on 10/8/06
Platform: Windows 98 Gold (Win9x 4.10.1998)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.51 SP2 (5.51.4807.2300)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SOFTWIN\BITDEFENDER COMMUNICATOR\XCOMMSVR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SOFTWIN\BITDEFENDER SCAN SERVER\BDSS.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\TINY PERSONAL FIREWALL\PERSFW.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\DIRECTCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SOFTWIN\BITDEFENDER8\BDMCON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SOFTWIN\BITDEFENDER8\BDNAGENT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\CREATIVE\SHAREDLL\CTNOTIFY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\GWHOTKEY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\CREATIVE\SHAREDLL\MEDIADET.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MOZILLA FIREFOX\FIREFOX.EXE
C:\HIGHJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.alltel.ne...ie_default.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.alltel.net/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.alltel.net/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by ALLTEL Internet
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adaptec DirectCD] C:\Program Files\DirectCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BDMCon] "C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender8\bdmcon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BDNewsAgent] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\SOFTWIN\BITDEFENDER8\bdnagent.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Disc Detector] C:\Program Files\Creative\ShareDLL\CtNotify.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Multi-function Keyboard] GWHotKey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [BitDefender Communicator] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Communicator\\xcommsvr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [BitDefender Scan Server] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Scan Server\\bdss.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [BitDefender Live! Init] "C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender8\bdinit.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [PersFw] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\TINY PERSONAL FIREWALL\PERSFW.EXE"
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O9 - Extra button: eBay - Homepage - {EF79EAC5-3452-4E02-B8BD-BA4C89F1AC7A} - C:\Program Files\IrfanView\Ebay\Ebay.htm (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YPAGER.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YPAGER.EXE
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\JAVA\JRE1.5.0_06\BIN\SSV.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\JAVA\JRE1.5.0_06\BIN\SSV.DLL
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.alltel.net/

best regards and thanks again. john

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hi John,

Before I forget, I found this site with what it seems a lot of things that might be helpfull.
http://blindreaders.info/aids.html

Your HjiackThis log looks clean, but you said the trouble started after you uninstalled a few programs.

It might help to defragment (if you hadn't already) and use a registry-cleaner (ditto)

Regards,

SVDtiger

SVDtiger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
good morning metallica, thanks for the link man. yes yes that will sure help.

good to know HJT log is ok also. like others sometimes do while they wait i poked around the site looking for fixes and others logs and resolutions to their woes.

i think i found my issue or at least some of them with dr. cure-it. the muldrop trojan was found in an .exe file and deleted

the cleaners freed massive space and everything i do use still runs :blink: i do defrag all the time. for an old box its doing real good now and can fully keep up with my truly awful dial up connect.

i do want to do the firefox pipelining tweak that i saw outlined here. well maybe :help:

i also installed jetico freeware firewall to replace venerable "tiny personal firewall" that was much less functional but was better than nothing.

now to config the wall correctly is my mission. my method is deny them all and if proggie not run because of a firewall denial to go to web and search for what iit is. like rnaapp.exe and run32.dll then set the rule.

this blindboy needs "tool school" especially for registry
manipulation softwares. but im in right place to find the info. comming from days of amstrads and 50 buck
each meg of ram and dos. one would think i could do registrys. but thats a foriegn land to me fraught with
perils and loss of sys if not done correctly and especially with backup invoked. :whistling: uhoh doh!

my machine is much better and i surely thank all that make this place what it is. highest regards to you all

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Glad for any help we were able to offer.

Don't hesitate to let us know if you need help on any other computer matters.

This forum is very busy, but we get there in the end. :whistling:

Take care,