Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OFFICE 2000 PRO

• Please log in to reply

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
For five years Office 2000 Pro has worked flawlessly for me :help: ...all aspects of it.

Then a week or so ago, the MS-WORD part of it, WinWord, started to refuse to load. :blink: The rest of the functions worked perfectly, as usual.

When I tried to open/start a new MS-WORD file...*.doc, I would get a Windows XP error message thingy and off to MS-HEAVEN the error message would go...not much use to me though...no feed back.

I rummaged around geekstogo and the internet, found and applied a possible fix, suggested for another problem with WORD...delete all ref's to the *.dot files.

This cured the problem. But for only a day or so, then I am back to square one; deleting the *.dot files again, setting them up, working; deleting, setting them up, working; deleting, setting them up, working; etc..

It has become quite tedious.

Any suggestions as to what's going on and how I might get back to the good old days, where once the *.dot is setup it stays that way. :whistling:

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Is it the normal.dot causing the program to crash? By removing references, did you mean you moved/deleted the .dot files and let Word recreate them? If not, move the .dot file(s) out to the desktop, open Word and let it recreate normal.dot. Then if you have other .dot files (like for STAMPS.COM, PaperPort, or other software that integrates), move them back in one at a time, opening Word after each, to pinpoint which might be causing the problem.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Thanks for the reply...

Problem solved in the same manner as before, but now it has taken it upon itself to stay put :whistling: as it should have done before...another anomoly for the compu-fairy to figure out :blink:

Did all that was suggested in a different stream at geekstogo... re: the *.dot files. Word kept making new normal.dots, and I kept making new ones. I set it up to default to normal1.dot rather than normal.dot...as my normal1.dot has the tools at the top set up as I want them for every occasion. Normal.dot must be set up each time you use it...not much fun in doing that.

Anyway, problem solved with thanks to the feller who kept at it until he fell into the solution. :help: