Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying A New Computer

• Please log in to reply

buknekkid407

buknekkid407

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
From what I know about computers this one is a good computer for 1500 dollars Canadian, the only thing im not sure about is the video card. It will be used for gaming as well as regular everyday use. Any opinions on it are appreciated. The specs are below. Thanks for your help! **Also includes a free 20 inch monitor**

Processor Type Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
Processor Speed 2.13GHz
RAM 2GB PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM (Exp. To 8GB)
Hard Drive 500GB (2 x 250GB) SATA
Optical Drives 16X DL DVD+/-RW w/ Lightscribe & DVD-ROM
Graphics Card See The Features Section
Available Expansion Bays 1 HP Personal Media Drive
Available Expansion Slots No
Cache 2MB
Disk Drive No
Fax/Modem 56K Modem
I/O Ports See The Features Section
Included Software See The Features Section
Monitor Included? No
Network Card 10/100 Ethernet
Other Control Devices See The Features Section
Preloaded Operating System MS Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
Sound Card See The Features Section
Speakers No
System Bus 1066MHz Front Side Bus
Warranty 1 Year Limited

More Information

FEATURES:

* I/O Ports: 2 x Firewire IEEE 1394 (1 Front, 1 Back), Wireless LAN, 6 x USB 2.0 (2 Front, 4 Back), 9-In-1 Memory Card Reader, Composite Video, S-Video, Audio Inputs
* Sound Card: Intel High Definition Audio, 8 Speaker Configurable
* Graphic Card: NVIDIA FX7300SE With Up To 256MB Shared Video Memory & TV Out
* Other Control Devices: HP Wireless Keyboard & Optical Mouse With Extended Range (Up To 16’), HP Media Center Remote Control With IR Receiver

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The system seems pretty good for that price in canadian dollars. It equals 1332 US dollars. A 20" lcd monitor goes for $300 so the computer costs $1000. Even finding a Core 2 Duo computer can be daunting right now. I am waiting for prices to drop some before i will even try building one. A conroe 2.13 costs $215 and a compatable intel 975 MB costs $260.

http://www.nvidia.co...force_7300.html

I don't think that spending another $100+ for a Nvidia 7600Gs video card would improve the graphics that much.

I think you will like the system a lot.

SRX660

buknekkid407

buknekkid407

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Thats what I was thinking too in regards to the video card. Thanks for your advice!! :whistling:

buknekkid407

buknekkid407

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
One more question, I have never bought such a good computer, is the warranty worth it? I can get a 4 year full coverage warranty for 360 canadian 320 american. Its alot of money but its also a fairly expensive computer. Any help is appreciated!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Warranties can be good, but warranties can also be a way of keeping you with that computer as it stands. In four years time, many things will have changed but your warranty wouldn't cover you replacing anything of the original machine, so if you decide its worthwhile replacing something next year, you often immediately invalidate said warranty if you do replace it.

In many regions, you get a default warranty anyway as stipulated under the law of the country you're in, which usually lasts as long as the product should reasonably last, though of course it will often last far longer than that.

You usually find that with the extended warranties, one of three things happen:

1) You never need to claim on it, so you've paid 360 Canadian dollars for nothing.
2) What does need replacing over the warranties lifetime never adds up to what you paid.
3) The system is constantly at fault even after warranty replacements and what not so you decide to invalidate the warranty and get the thing working somewhere else.

Personally, I wouldn't take the warranty, but its up to you.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Yeah there is a lot of Pros and Cons of buying a warranty but its up to you.

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

NVIDIA FX7300SE With Up To 256MB Shared Video Memory & TV Out

is that not onboard graphics??
if so then doesn't it use some of the RAM?

ry

buknekkid407

buknekkid407

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I reeally do not know that much about it. But if its using some of the computers ram thats not a real big problem, i have 2 gigs and can expand to 8 so... But i dont know that much about video cards, and thats why i posted. Thanks for the help!

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
A 7300 SE will be enough to play most games on medium settings. If you want to play the newest games (FEAR, Oblivion, etc) on high settings then you will want to upgrade the card. However, you would probably be better off staying put for now until the DX10 cards roll out in Nov - Dec. The 7300 SE should last you at least until the middle of next year when DX10 card will be reasonable priced.