Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

URGENT URGENT help CAN ONLY USE GUEST ACCOUNT

• Please log in to reply

jayjay23

jayjay23

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Here is my problem....

i am now logged in as guest only and it logs in automatically with no welcome screen and i cant get out of it into admin mode HELP!

a couple of changes occurred on my computer ie sql debugger and asp.net appeared as users on my computer which was causing the welcome screen to appear every time i logged in to windows where i just wanted my administrator account to log straight in.

to avoid displaying the welcome screen i went to run and typed CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2 and a menu appeared with a list of users (i'm saying this from my memory because i no longer have the priveliges to check exactly what i did)

the users list being something like....

administrator - admin
dennis
guest - disabled
sql
asp.net

so i highlighted dennis (which has always been the name i have logged in using from the welcome screen to log in as administrator, i have never set a password because we all just use one account to avoid any problems like this, we never needed a password)

i highlighted dennis and unchecked the relevant box to do with displaying the welcome screen and applied the settings to log straight into dennis without displaying the welcome screen.

it worked fine. but i started to discover problems wen i tried to run anti spyware and when i tried to check the time and date, it said i needed to log in as administrator, i tried to go onto user accounts etc but as a guest im limited to what i can do how can i get the pc to boot straight into admin mode - i cant use system restore or anything. when i go to run and type
CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2 again it says to use the feature i need to be admin and asks for admin details to be entered, i have tried USERNAME administrator with no password, with admin etc as password and tried dennis as user name but it wont let me in.....

can anyone help
?????

Edited by jayjay23, 09 October 2006 - 04:36 AM.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
XP Home or Pro? You need to get into the REAL administrator account, not "Dennis" which only has (had) admin rights. From the real admin account you can restore Dennis. Have you tried System Restore?

If your XP came installed your password might be blank. Tap control alt delete twice at the welcome screen to bring up the dialog box, in XP Home, you must boot into safe mode.
Johanna

jayjay23

jayjay23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
xp home edition sp2
i tried system restore, it wont let e because of limited rights, i cannot get it to display the welcome screen when i boot up because it is set to auto log in to dennis and from in dennis it wont let me alter the settings.
i booted into safe mode and tried to access the user accounts but still have the same limitations and i cannot reg edit or anything...
im pretty stuck. thanks for trying though, my password should be blank to my knowledge but i still cant get onto it.
more help required please.
thanks

will the main admin account be called administrator by default???

Edited by jayjay23, 09 October 2006 - 09:45 AM.