Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Strange icon in my sys tray

• Please log in to reply

doctortao

doctortao

• Pip
  • 5 posts
The last few days I have been getting this icon in my task tray, I don't know what it id but I know when it appears.

I will open Outlook 2003 and it will download all my mail. As soon as I click on an email message I will hear that "pop" sound and see the icon appear in the tray. I can't right click on it and when I single or double click it dissapears.

I would like to know what it is and why it's started happening, not to mention how to stop it.

I have attached an image showing what it looks like.

TIA

drtao

Attached Files

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi doctortao...

That looks like the warning for low virtual memory. To check to see if this is it, click Start, then Run, type eventvwr.msc and click "Ok". In the left pane, click on "System"...in the right pane, are there any errors related to virtual memory or paging files?

wannabe1

doctortao

doctortao

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I see a warning about Tcpip but nothing about virtual memory. Plus I opened Outlook again and when the icon appeared again I refreshed the event viewer and I don't see a new warning.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Does this icon give you any information if you point to it without clicking?

doctortao

doctortao

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
nope