Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalling Windows 98 from cd-rom

• Please log in to reply

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
:tazz:
Hi,

I just formatted my hard drive and am trying to reinstall Windows 98 from my W98 cd.
I can't seem to get it to come up. Could this be because I lost the driver for my cd-rom? If so, how do I go about getting one and installing it? I have a swappable cd-rom and floppy drive so I can only use one of the other since this is a laptop.

I could really use some help with this asap. Thanks.

ferndoodle

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
No, don't worry about the driver, most laptops come with atapi ide drives that can boot ...your problem is likely that your boot order has been changed. (you would need a cd-driver if you need to install with a boot floppy, but we'll get to that if need be)

Drop into BIOS, depending on your laptop it will be f1, f2, or del (sometimes even f12 and f10)

Look for boot order. Set it so your CD_ROM is the first boot device.

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
:tazz:
gerry,

Thanks for getting back to me. Could you explain how I get into the bios settings with these keys. I know I've done it before but I've been working with this computer almost all day and my mind is shot. *lol* Sorry. I need a little more step by step help.

ferndoodle

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
When you first boot up, you will see a message press ?? to enter setup.

This message flashes for only a second or two, on the bottom during the time your memory is counting up and the harddrives are being detected.