Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HELP! unwanted program!

• Please log in to reply

CreeSweetSage

CreeSweetSage

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I hope someone can help me,
I get home from work last night and started to check my emails, when i noticed that there was a new icon on my desktop. It was a light green and yellow circle. CLicked on the icon and it took me to limewire. I learned that my 12 year old downloaded limewire with help of her friends and tried to download some songs. They encountered a problem. She said something about a trojan, panicked and shut off the pcm knowing she did something she wan NOT suppose to do. She knows we buy out music from walmart, but wanted some songs for her and her friends. I tried to remove limewire and when i thought it was all gone, i did a check in the search found on the start panel, all the limewire junk is not gone. There are 4 things that show in the search screen: Limewire, limewire.exe, limewire.jar and limewire20.dll all found in my program files.
When i try to delete these i get popups saying: it says can not be deleted because it is being used by another person or program. I closed all the programs and tried again, still it would not let me delete them.
When i click on the limewire. exe the popup says that access is denied. Is there anything that i can do to get rid of this stuff. I ran adaware and anit-virus programs. I did have a trojan show up on my trojanhunter and that trojan was removed. However, i still can not remove the junk from my program files.
Needless to say, my daughter is not allowed to use the pc unless i am watching her.
Thanks for any and all help, i would greatly appreciate it!!!! Michelle

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi CreeSweetSage...

You might try removing the files from Safe Mode or use an application like Move On Boot.

Because Limewire is a P2P application, it may have installed things other than those you have found. I would highly recommend that you pay a visit to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions found there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
When someone installed limewire on my computer and i found out it was bad for computer
i tried to remove it..only to find out its cookies were still active.....the cookies were causing
computer to freeze and slow down.. so i did this.....hope it works for you...

If you havent already done then do it. go to add/ remove programs and remove it.
from start menu..control panel..internet options..delete cookies ..delete files..including off line
click ok....

return back to internet options under the security tab..click restricted sites paste this in there

http://www.limewire....tent/home.shtml

click ok

if your still in the internet options click privacy tab..then advance..click block third party cookies then click ok

then from start menu click on the search all files and folders..type in limewire..when its found
delete every file you see on limewire ....THEN RESTART your computer

ALL THIS IS TO BLOCK LIMEWIRE COOKIES THEY CAN STILL BE ACTIVATED THROUGH THE SECURITY SETTINGS.

Edited by rushin1nd, 10 October 2006 - 09:13 AM.

CreeSweetSage

CreeSweetSage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks SO much Wannabe1 and Rushin1nd!!
Rushin1nd i did exactly what you told me and it did get rid of all the limewire junk on my pc! I can not tell you how grateful i am!! :whistling:
I do appreciate all the help! Thanks Again!!! GEEKS TO GO are the best!!!! Michelle

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
GLAD I COULD HELP