Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bf 2142 demo prob

• Please log in to reply

paradien

paradien

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
ok i down loaded the demo over night and now after i woke up and tryed to run it it just freezes....well sorta , i can still move the mouse and all it will just stop me from running any thing else. help

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hi,

Your not the only one having problems with the demo of Battlefield 2142.
I've heard it described as a crash-o-thon. :whistling:

First thing to try is a full uninstall of the demo and removing any files/folders that remain. Then restart your computer and install the demo again.
Second thing would be updating hardware drivers.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Not a "crash-a-thon" but a disconnect a thon for sure.

EA is working on the issue. The interm fix has worked for some, but I am still having problems getting connected. Apparently the issue steams from 2 things. Getting slammed and not having the login server capacity to deal with it. Changing to a new master account system recently that, IMO, is causing issues as well.

Give them about another week and see what happens.

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
well i tryed something for once.....i waited 5 minz and it worked but just brought me to another problem and worrys, 1 it freezes when im selecting a soldier or something and im worried my asus made en 6660gt cant handle it

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
specs are the same for bf2142 as they are for bf2.

note: I was actually able to login and play this moring for a while.

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
well idk about the specs. it seems the graphics are more pixelated , apears to be lower than when i played bf2, i wish i had a 7950 gx2 but im not sure if i could really use it to its fullest i only have a 15 inch screen and run a p4 ht on a VERY capable asus mb

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
wow a 15" screen. better to put your money toward a nice flat panel instead.

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
well its a lcd screen its something, but i wish i had more money, this is my first comp i ever built, and i think i was a little reckless with the money, i think by now i see this comp aint really worth 1100,

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Computers a rarely worth there full value after a while and if its got aP4 and 6600 it must be getting on, i know my system which is about a year and a half old is getting on mind you it hasnt lost to much value the CPU and gfx card havent held the price but my mobo and memory is the same now to buy as it was then a little more actually.

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
on the matter of cpu now, is amd still so called better for gaming cuase theres alot of talk about the intel duo core

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

on the matter of cpu now, is amd still so called better for gaming cuase theres alot of talk about the intel duo core

No amd is STILL not better for gaming.. The Intel conroe has it beat by a pretty good margin. The only thing I noticed that the AMD fx-62 is better at is one thing and that is sciencemark2 on occasions and that is the only thing lol.

For instance check out this benchmark, The amd Fx-62 beat the Conroes on one test only and that was sciencemark2 cipher bench.

http://www.tweaktown...hots/index.html

The amd fx-62 only won one benchmark out of 11 benchmark tests.

The conroe e6600, e6700 and x6800 beat the amd chips by a pretty big margin so the answer is INTEL conroe is better for gaming and faster as of right now. :whistling:

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
very informative, makes me wish i had a job so i can make another comp. the conroe is sorta new aint it, hopefully i wont be dealing with something thats about to be out done.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Its computers. It will be outdone, just a matter of when. For me, when I build pc's its about longevity.

hmm... list of things that I have:
1ghz amd, msi system board, ati 8500 video card, 768 megs ram. It was my old server, now just a lab box.
1.6 ghz amd thoroughbred, 1 gig ram, 9600 ati video. Was my old gaming rig 5 years ago. Now it is my server

p4 northwood---- Board just died on me. built it 4 years ago. Was my gaming rig until recently

amd x2 3800 (dual core), 1.5gigs ram, nvidia 7800gt video, lots of storage. My primary system built about 6 months ago. should last for a while.

This should demonstrate that just because it's not the most current technology, doesn't mean its outdated. By choosing your componets carefully you can build a very fast, reliable, and long lasting pc.