Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer broken

• Please log in to reply

Rudy777

Rudy777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
How do i get a new mother board and is it hard to install

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, first, it's only fair to tell you that it won't be necessarily cheap... You can try http://www.newegg.com for motherboards at a good price, just let us know which ones you are considering (or if you don't know where to start, let us know and we'll find one for you). As far as installing, it's not hard, just be careful with it. The manual will tell you how to properly do all this.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
You need to ensure that the new mobo is compatible with all of the other components you currently have. Also, replacing a mobo often involves a clean install of Windows, so you will need to ensure you have the disks available and that you back up all important info stored on your harddrive.

You may want to consider taking your computer into your local shop and having them take a look at it for you before you order the parts. Although the people on this site have tons of computer knowledge, it is sometimes difficult to diagnose a problem without putting hands-on the system. It may save you some time and heartache, just make sure they are reputable and aren't going to charge you an unreasonable fee to look at it for you.

Rudy777

Rudy777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Keep us updated, we're glad to help :whistling:

Rudy777

Rudy777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
on my computer would using and grounded outlet adapter with suger protecter cause my computer to break the way it did

If i get a new computer can i copy my old hard drive to the new one

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
As long as the drive is not damaged or anything, sure. You can add it as a second drive really.

Rudy777

Rudy777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
well i have two drives on the old computer and the 40gb hard drive has all my info and the 120gb is just extra so i want to copy the onld drive to the new computer and then add the 120 gb to it when i get it