Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blue screen of death IRQL_NOT_LESS_EQUAL

• Please log in to reply

Andybikecrazy

Andybikecrazy

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
One of my computers is randomly(about once a day) getting a stop screen with IRQL_NOT_LESS_EQUAL message. I have googled around and haven't found an obvious solution. One help site I found said this about IRQL_NOT_LESS_EQUAL stop screen...

The Stop 0xA message indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel interrupt request level (IRQL) that was too high. A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own. This Stop message is typically due to faulty or incompatible hardware or software.

I don't really understand any of that except the last sentence.

So if its something with hardware or software/driver problem, where do I start in my trouble shooting?
I already have tried swapping out the ram and it still got the blue screen.

One othering intersting note. Every time the blue screen has appeared, it happened when photos(different ones different times it has happend) on the computer were being accessed by a laptop on my wireless home network. I don't understand how accessing a file on the computer could cause this problem. Would it NIC drivers? Any ideas would be appreciated! BTW all computers are running XP home.

Advertisements

rajputmailbox

rajputmailbox

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi.

SOLUTION SOLUTION Works 100%!!!!!!!!

First of all u have to remember that which new hardware recently you have installed into your system like memory,CD drive,mouse,keyboard,videocard etc.
then please deattached it from your system before you go to the given steps and then follow these steps.

Do follow the given below steps then.

1.Got to mycomputer
2.Go to each disk drive and right click on it.
3. go to properties.
4.click on tools.
5.click on check now.
6.check only second option and click on start and wait untill it completes all of its phases.
7. do it for each disk drive.

Then restart your system .and you will find that the BSOD(Blue screen of death) saying like IRQL_not_less_equal or PFN_List_corrupt or memory_management no more with you.

Reply if you really got your solution from doing all of this.

Thanks
Rajput

Edited by rajputmailbox, 29 September 2010 - 11:07 PM.