Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need HELP!

• Please log in to reply

Snippy

Snippy

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
I just bought the X1900XTX card and I tried to put it in today and it does not fit.The slot is PCI-E and the slot would fit the card but the fan takes another slot but I don't have another slot avaible cause my PCI slot is at the end of all the slots.I only have 4 slots which the 2 on the very left are taken the 1 after those 2 is empty and the last one is emtpy but the 3rd slot is not a graphics card slot its a little slot don't know what it's called.

Thx,

Snippy

Edited by Snippy, 09 October 2006 - 07:50 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Your PCI-E x16 is the very long port, the smaller ones below or above it immediately will be the PCI-e x1 or x4, all the rest of the ports should be the same size and they will be standard PCI.

Im afraid almost all modern gfx cards will come with coolers that occupy the pci slot directly above(below depending on orientation) im afraid unless you can remove or rearange to free up the slot blocking the cooler then you wont be able to use the card. Although might be a good thing now isnt the best time to spend so much cash on a dx9 card the first DX10 game is out and about allready(FS X not out officially but i noticed its doing the newsgroup rounds so must have gone gold). Also the x1950 isnt much more price wise but is much more powerful.

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Umm I don't have another slot after the end one. I only have 4 slots but one guy told me to get another case and it will have more slots.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Are you talking backplates or actual slots they are two totally different things, a new case would give you possibly more backplates the metal brackets that cover unused or non external outputing expansion slots. Totally different things. You should have a row of removable backplates along the back above/below the mobo output/input panel the PCI-e slot should usually be the first one after that.

Maybe try taking a picture if you can it might help.

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Yeah i'm talking about the back slots not on the mother board but on the actual case, what you were talking about and can you plz add my xfire : snippyman
I got this fixed just cut the case and it fit in fine.But I have a few questions about it so add my xfire so we can get in touch!!

Thx,

Snippy

Edited by Snippy, 11 October 2006 - 08:22 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I dont use xfire anymore, havent isntalled it on RC2 yet and they dont make it for linux. Didnt use it all that much even when i had it to be honest.

Ill try and get on irc at some point today so if you try there in a little while ive got work to do first though gotta get it done before tommorow nights beerienteering.

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Ok it's in but when I play cod2 it only runs it at 60fps and will jump down to like 20 sometimes. Maybe faulty card?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dont think so, could be a lack of power, your CPU is pretty slow it will be the bottleneck in your system. Could also be a bug in the game.

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
2.8GHZ is slow?well can you send me a link to a decent but cheap one?
Thx,

Snippy

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I think your CPU should be fine. What resolution are you running it at and with what settings? Turning off AA or something may help improve your rates. Some games run better on ATI cards and others run better on nvidia cards so it may just be that game. Try a couple of other games and see if you're still getting below average frame rates. 60fps is pretty dang good though, and you're always going to experience peaks and valleys.

Edited by kidnova, 12 October 2006 - 12:24 PM.

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Double post.

Edited by kidnova, 12 October 2006 - 12:23 PM.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Triple post!!!

Edited by kidnova, 12 October 2006 - 12:24 PM.

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Well I run everything on high and maxed out.But It will drop down to like 20fps real fast and then go back up alot and t does that alot.Like rop down to 20fps really fast then go back up.Really annyoying.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah 2.8Ghz on a pent D is slow, ive got a 2Ghz and its faster than that. Anything is better than the 2.8 Pent D it was one of the worst chips intel ever put out, if it was a later model though you can overclock the bejeesus out of the thing.

Did you remember to run driver cleaner to get rid of the old drivers?

SpectreNZ

SpectreNZ

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
How much RAM do you have? What are your Virtual Memory Settings? If it's happening too often your RAM may be letting you down, and using your paging file too often.

Edited by SpectreNZ, 12 October 2006 - 05:26 PM.