Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need HELP!

• Please log in to reply

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
I got 3gigs of ram and Scot could you give me a link to a decent processor plz

thx

Snippy

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
http://www.overclock..._Dual_Core.html The last two would do you, if you have the 915 then its pretty overclockable as i said if its the 820 then nothing much you can do with that. If you have a compatible mobo you could get a Core series CPU but you probably dont there isnt much upgrade wise you can do without a newish mobo shipset with intel.

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Those are both P D though thought you said they were bad?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They are but you cant get a core series probably your only options are better Pent Ds, you have the 2.8 which is probably the more common 820 which is one of the worst chips intel have put out, the 915 isnt much better but it overclocks really well.

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
they are definately sending you in the right direction it will be a cpu bottleneck problem and a better cpu would free that up but if you have an old mobo you prob wont be able to fix that a lot of the new graphcis cards have that problem with old cpus they send the information to the processor too fast and in too much volume and it backs up and thats what causes those downspikes in frame rate.

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
So the 915 is the way to go?But I mean I run other games at full graphics with no problems.

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
It really does depend on the game, you will probably find the problem with the downspike in half-life 2, Oblivion, Fear and most newer high res, high gaphc quality game and then for the most part the rest of the games with medium graphic quality and medium res will play absolutely perfect. The 915 would more then likely assist in solving that problem if your motherboard can support it.

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Hmmm

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
O and Warriorscot I need some help settings up some custom maps on my cod2 server and make them HTTP Redirect so they don't download from the server and lag everybody.If you know how...

Thx,

Snippy

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not a COD2 or online server guy, i only play COD over LAN.

Advertisements

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
O ok thx anyways

Snippy

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You might try JRM or starjax they both run game servers if i remember correctly not sure if either does COD2 but i think they will have some experience with it.

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Could I switch over to an AMD processor?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
With a new mobo you could.

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
How much is a new mobo