Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow start up with new hard drive

• Please log in to reply

dantilmouth

dantilmouth

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi
I've just installed a new 160 Gb Western Digital hard drive with an 8 mb cache. At the same time i bought a new copy of XP home and put this on it. However, windows is taking a very long time to start up-longer than my old 40 Gb hard drive with Millenium.

It takes 3 mins before i even see my desktop and a further 1 min before all of the programmes have loaded and i can effectively use my computer.

I've removed the plastic 'pin' on the back of the drive as it showed to do this when using the drive as the only hard drive.
I've also defraged it, updated the graphics card driver, removed just the basic programs from the start up, and i only have the recycle bin on my desktop.

Once it is up and running it's fine and runs pretty quickly, it's just this very slow start up which is irritating.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Cheers, Dan

Advertisements

Mr. Jack

Mr. Jack

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Im just guessing...but perhaps your processor cant keep up with all the memory in your hard drive? Or maybe not enough RAM

That might be the problem.

dantilmouth

dantilmouth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry, i thought my system specs would be displayed with my message. It's an AMD Athlon 1.41Ghz and i've got 512mb RAM. I've only used 11 Gb of the drive so far, i was recommended by a friend to buy a HD larger than i needed as it would be quicker! Do these specs sound like they might be the problem?

Cheers for the advice, Dan