Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best cooler for x1900xt/xtx?

• Please log in to reply

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I want to get a cooler to replace the stock one on my new card when I get it because i've heard it is really loud and also gets very hot under load. What would you say is the best cooler to get?

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
i wouldnt worry about it just yet... wait till you actually get teh card and then see how hot it runs and how loud it is

it just a bit to premature to go out and buy a cooler for a card that you dont even no if it will run hot or not

just wait and see run it first then make your decision

troppo

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
zalman vf900, can't go wrong with it. but yeah get the card first and then decide on the cooler

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
that GPU cooler is great for the GPU yeah sure

but what about the RAM????

it has no RAm sinks what so ever and your RAm heats will go through teh roof and eventually the card will destroy itself

the stock fans on the X1900XTX covers the RAM aswell cooling them down so in a way its using the fan to do 2 things cool the GPU and the RAM activly

with out that design you would only be cooling the RAM(s) passively and with the clock speeds of them it just wouldnt be able to happen i would suggest not even replacing the fan at all unless you can some way to cool both the GPU and the RAM activly

i found this though which i think is pretty good because it actively cools both the GPU and the RAM:
its called the Arctic Cooling Accelero X2
you can find it here:
http://www.techpower...ling/AcceleroX2 im pretty sure you can use it for the 1900 because it was designed for the 1K series its a shame that they didnt reveiw it on a 1900 but maybe you could find online somewhere

thats my point of veiw

troppo

Edited by troppo, 13 October 2006 - 12:11 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Actually the vf900 comes with passive coolers, and ATI cards usually have 4 memory modules on the top four on the bottom and most coolers wont cover them effectivley arctics usually dont. But memory doesnt need a great deal of cooling its heat output is very low even at normal clocks the usually dont even need a heat sink and usually ati cards dont get cooling on half the memory modules with stock coolers.

The vf900 is the best cooler you can buy its got the best cooling on the market its also much lighter and smaller than its competition and very easy to install the only possible critique is that it doesnt remove the air from the case but that would be difficult with that type of cooler and you couldnt get that good cooling with a blower.

So the memory cooling thing is just nonsense.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
of course if you r rich and wouldn't mind forking over 10-20 extra you could get the latest zalman fszv 9 basically the vf900 with a better fan and "cooler looking" cause it's fatal1ty. you get 300 extra rpm on the fan which usually mean 2-4 degrees difference depending on the card during load. Of course you sacrafice silence but it's up to you. The vf900 memory coolers are sweet, they work very well as long as you clean the mem chips before sticking them on there. Get some as5 while you are at it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You dont get much cooler than the vf900 iver never heard of one ever going past 50C, and usually max load for me with a high overclock is 45 with one of those things.