Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to find server or DNS error after a few seconds

• Please log in to reply

wf4

wf4

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello, my first post and hopefully you guys in the know can help me out.

I am running XP Pro, SP2, fully patched and updated. I have a wireless network, PC and a Laptop.
My laptop is working fine so i have eliminated there being a problem with the router.

The problem started a couple of weeks ago, each time i tried to connect to the internet my wireless says "connected" and the signal strength is excellent however after only a couple of seconds online i get a white screen with "Unable to contact server or DNS error" at this time my outlook fails, i get logged out of MSN but my wireless is still connected and excellent!.

if i leave the computer for 20 or 30 seconds, when i try logging back into MSN it shows the troubleshooter and tells me that my DNS and Key ports are at error, click repair then i'm logged back in..... FOR 20 SECONDS! I use Zone Alarm Pro and AVG antivirus, both fully upto date and neither can detect any problems, i have also carried out an online virus and security check which has also brought back nothing.
Even when i disable the firewall in windows or on my router i get the same problem.

I have tried so many things,
deleted and renewed the winsock2 TCP/IP,
flushed the DNS,
restored the DNS back to default,
I have also tried pinging the internet when i lose the connection which is always 100 loss,

I have run out of things to try and would like to avoid a format if possible.

Have you experienced the same problem??? Can you please help???
if you need more info, please ask!

Thanks,
Will.

Edited by wf4, 29 October 2006 - 03:46 PM.

Advertisements