Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Backups

• Please log in to reply

Rhionin

Rhionin

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I am curious to know if there is a method of automatically synchronizing two or more different file paths for backup purposes.

For example: whenever I save a document to my shared documents folder, I would also like it to automatically save to my flash drive.
AND/OR
Given a certain command, windows can compare all of the files in either folder and replace older versions of a document with newer versions, and add any new files to the other folder.

I am well aware that it is possible to just copy and paste, but this is a big hassle because both filepaths are used frequently, and often I will have new files in both folders when I want to synchronize them, and I can't just copy and paste because it overwrites some things I don't want overwritten.

So the bottom line is I want to know if there is any way to synchronize and update two folders.

Advertisements

Saracen

Saracen

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

So the bottom line is I want to know if there is any way to synchronize and update two folders.

I certain it could be done - but it sounds to me like a job that is best suited for either a batch file or a bit of ad-hoc programming in c/c++ (or whatever language is most suited set out for the job in hand.) Unfortunatly im no programmer so I cant advise you further :whistling: