Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD Error

• Please log in to reply

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
My friend has been getting this BSOD off and on for about 5-6 months now but his computer still runs normally when not getting it. I looked up the causes in the Stickied post on BSOD's and that pretty much just confused me more.

He says that it happens one to twice every two weeks and would like to know how to go about fixing this problem!

Thanks guys,
}BP{ :whistling:

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
From the information that I have found, it appears to be the result of a bad or faulty harddrive or RAM. Here are the instructions according to Microsoft:

Boot Sector Virus
To determine if you have a boot sector virus, run a current virus-checking program, and if needed, disinfect your computer.
Back to the top

Not a Boot Sector Virus
• View the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that help you determine the device that is causing the error.
• Bad block. Stop 0x77 is caused by a bad block in a paging file, or a disk controller error, or in extremely rare cases it is caused when non-paged pool resources are unavailable.
• If the first and second parameters are 0, then the stack signature was not found in the kernel stack. The cause of this issue is defective hardware. If the I/O status is C0000185 and the paging file is on a SCSI-based hard disk, you should verify the disk cabling and SCSI termination.
• If the I/O status code is 0xC000009C or 0xC000016A, this normally indicates that the data could not be read from the disk due to a bad block.
• If you can restart your computer after the error message, Autochk runs automatically and tries to map out the bad sector. If for some reason Autochk does not scan the hard disk for errors, manually start the disk scanner. If your computer is formatted with the NTFS file system, run Chkdsk /f /r on the system partition. You must restart your computer before the disk scan begins. If you cannot start your computer due to this issue, use the Command Console and run Chkdsk /r.
• Defective or unreliable random access memory (RAM) is another common cause of this issue.
• Verify that all the adapter cards in your computer are properly seated.
• Ensure that all adapter card contacts are clean.
• Disable system caching in the BIOS to see if this resolves the error.
• If this does not resolve the issue, your computer mainboard (motherboard) may be damaged.

I have also read a couple instances where using system restore to a previous point has fixed the problem.

Edited by kidnova, 09 October 2006 - 06:14 PM.