Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Odd Troubles

• Please log in to reply

MJL54

MJL54

• Pip
  • 2 posts
;)
Hello. Why do I look so joyful? Actually, my computer's running ok except I'm getting these weird little problems that seem to be related, somehow. The trick is to find out how.
Here goes: (1) Can't install certain applications (I believe they are all 16-bit), such as Music Explorer.
(2) Certain applications, notably Mozilla, when I try to un-install I get a "cannot locate log file."
(3) I ran Dependency Walker to test the profile for an installation and I got this (only the faulting part of the log - the rest of the procedures were ok):

GetProcAddress(0x77E60000 [KERNEL32.DLL], "FlsAlloc") called from "DEPENDS.EXE" at address 0x010394C8 and returned NULL. Error: The specified procedure could not be found (127).
GetProcAddress(0x77E60000 [KERNEL32.DLL], "FlsGetValue") called from "DEPENDS.EXE" at address 0x010394D5 and returned NULL. Error: The specified procedure could not be found (127).
GetProcAddress(0x77E60000 [KERNEL32.DLL], "FlsSetValue") called from "DEPENDS.EXE" at address 0x010394E2 and returned NULL. Error: The specified procedure could not be found (127).
GetProcAddress(0x77E60000 [KERNEL32.DLL], "FlsFree") called from "DEPENDS.EXE" at address 0x010394EF and returned NULL. Error: The specified procedure could not be found (127).

(Sorry to clutter up the page here, maybe this is too much. Basically it looks like certain programs are having trouble hooking up with the required procedure.)

(4) Prior to this I was getting a referencing memory message, similar to the one above - memory locations were being referenced, but there was nothing there.
(5) I get error messages when I run Hijack This, as well:
An unexpected error has occurred at procedure: modRegistry_IniGetString(sFile=system.ini, sSection=boot, sValue=Shell)
Error #5 - Invalid procedure call or argument.

I'd be really grateful if anyone could help me get through this mess. Although my machine's running okay, and I can even install other programs with no problem, there's something funny going on and I'd like to get to the bottom of it. Incidentally, no viruses on board, nothing wrong with the registry (as least, not that Registry Mechanic can detect, and I've run Winsock Fix, too, 'cause I thought there might be a problem there. Everything else eems to check out.

Thanks.
:tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
XP Fix 2 down

XP Fix

This should take care of the installing

MJL54

MJL54

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
;)

Thanks, Keith. It looks like a great resource there - I've never heard of anything like that before. I wish I could say that it worked - BUT IT DIDN'T!!!!!!

Not anyone's fault, probably mine anyway. It's just so d*** intriguing why nothing I do will fix this problem. I'm going to try downloading the Music Explorer program again - maybe the one I have got corrupted - but I don't expect anything will work, now. Not that I'm being negative, or anything - it's just that I know how it is sometimes with Windows. I've been there before - not this, exactly, but similar irreconciilable differences, let's say. I'm about ready to re-install my O/S, in any case, since it seems that no matter what you do, six months is about the limit for Windows - I've heard that from "experts, gurus" - whatever you want to call them - so it's not just me. It doesn't matter what you try, there's just something wrong and it won't fix itself.

But thanks for the link. I'm amazed at how many different resources there are out there that one doesn't know anything about, and then some good soul on the internet directs you there and a whole new world opens up to you.

BTW, I've got this PE program which looks at executables, and I ran it through a couple I was having trouble with and there were no errors, so it seems it must be something to do with my operating system, which of course the file you recommended is meant to address. Maybe I'll run it again, although I got a message saying all files had been restored (it only took about 1 second, so I wonder if maybe that's not working on my syste, either.)

Ah, well......
:tazz: