Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with RUNDLL32.EXE

• Please log in to reply

ttsprez

ttsprez

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
At start up, getting error mess that states rundll32.exe has caused and error in RUNDLL32.EXE and will need to be closed. I would like to uninstall ME and then reinstall ME from my C:windows/ What would I need to do? Should I save my document files in a zip or what. Please help! would like to get specific info on how to go about correcting rundll32.exe file issues.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
do a search for rundll32.exe

you may have a trojan

ttsprez

ttsprez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Run a search on my system or on the net. Which one? and once I run the search what do i do then. I beleive I may have a trojan. Ad-aware has found one before but on recent scans it has not indicated that it has found the particular trojan file any more. My most recent scan was this morning and it seems to have removed everything it found. If I do have a trojan, what would I need to do to get rid of it. I am pretty familiar with my computer and feel comfortable with getting this thing fixed if I can get the instructions to fix it.

I have also just run a search on my system and found a rundll32 file in C:\Windows but nothing else related to it. I even tried to run a case sensitive search on RUNDLL32.EXE and came up with the same results.

Please help.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
on your system...it should be in c:\windows...right click on it, choose properties, what is the verison number? Any other information?

ttsprez

ttsprez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Search my system, here are the results

General Tab:

Type: App
Descpt: Run DLL as an App.

Loc: c:\\windows
size: 9.76
size on disk: 32.0
created/modified: 3.18.2001
Accessed: 3.26.2005

Version Tab

File Version: 5.0.2134.1
Descpt: Run a DLL as an App
Copyright: copyright© Mircrosoft Corp. 1981-1999

File Version: 5.00.2134.1
Internal Name: Rundll
Lang: English
Original Name: Rundll.exe
Product: Microsoft Windows 2000 Operating Sysytem
Product Versions: 5.00.2134.1

This is what the properties show on the file that was found throught the search.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Search my system, here are the results

General Tab:

Type: App
Descpt:  Run DLL as an App.

Loc: c:\\windows
size: 9.76
size on disk: 32.0
created/modified:  3.18.2001
Accessed: 3.26.2005

Version Tab

File Version:  5.0.2134.1
Descpt: Run a DLL as an App
Copyright:  copyright© Mircrosoft Corp. 1981-1999
File Version: 5.00.2134.1
Internal Name: Rundll
Lang: English
Original Name: Rundll.exe
Product: Microsoft Windows 2000 Operating Sysytem
Product Versions: 5.00.2134.1

This is what the properties show on the file that was found throught the search.

View Post

Uhm, don't you have windows ME?

ttsprez

ttsprez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yes I have windows Me. I'm just giving you the info you asked for.

ttsprez

ttsprez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
If I don't have the proper file. What does it need to say and where can i find it. Or, would it be easier to just up grade to windows xp

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
should say

Microsoft Windows ME Operating System...wondering how you got that one one there....

ttsprez

ttsprez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
when I first started to get the error mess. Someone suggested that I do a search on google for a file to download. I found a zip file downloaded and extracted it to the C:\\windows location. Now do I need to change it. And if I do will i keep getting the error message.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you don't think that was perhaps VITAL INFORMATION YOU SHOULD HAVE STATED BEFORE WE STARTED, do you? :mad: :tazz: ;)

well....crap. Now I don't know how to move forward.

The error problems were the same

ie-- rundll32.exe has caused and error in RUNDLL32.EXE before you downloaded said file from the internet?

ttsprez

ttsprez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The initial problem that started this whole thing is that I can't access any Icon fuctions from my control panel folder. Any Icon I click on was giving me an error message that said that a needed file was missing or could not be accessed, that being the rundll32.exe file. When I first posted to this forum someone suggested searching google for a rundll file and downloading the zip and extracting the dll to the c:\\windows location. When I starting getting the rundll is causing error in rundll, I thought it was a total differnt issue. therefore I did not mention the former.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Guys
Me comes with a restore why not just go back to that?
peterm

ttsprez

ttsprez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I've tried but each time it says that is was unable to successfully restore and to choose another point. That is why one of my initial questions was if I could just uninstall Me and then reinstall Me from my c drive through dos.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Sorry, been working with someone else...OK, let's extract the proper file .... did you say you had a windows me disk?

I am working with so many people I am truly confused right now...