Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Restarts

• Please log in to reply

MyCompRestartsOnMe

MyCompRestartsOnMe

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I just recently built my computer and I'm having a little trouble.
Specs:
a8n32 sli deluxe
amd x2 3800+
xms 1 gig pc3200
evga geforce 6600gt
thermaltake 430 watts
thermaltake tsunami case
3 maxtor hard drives (dont have the model)
*1 out of 3 is a sata hard drive

Usually when I'm playing game, world of warcraft, my computer would restart on me when i alt+tab out. On rare occasions it would restart when I'm in the middle of playing it. It does happen when my computer has been on for a while and I open a video file.

I sent in my motherboard to asus and it tested fine.
I just sent in my processor and it passed the test.
I used another memory on my system and it still restarted (rules out the ram)
I tested out another power supply and it still restarted (rules out the power supply)

When I talked to AMD, the guy said I should be running at 1.3 to 1.35 volts but I'm running at 1.39v. That would also lower my temp from 57C (running all out programs, really stressing out the processor) to a much lower temp, but will that prevent my system from restarting???

I still havent tested out the video card, could it be the video card???
Any thoughts???

thanks a lot for your time!!!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Both are possibles, though check the video card first for restarting because high temperature could also cause it to shutdown and stay off

MyCompRestartsOnMe

MyCompRestartsOnMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Both are possibles, though check the video card first for restarting because high temperature could also cause it to shutdown and stay off

It doesn't stay off....it's just a restart...then windows comes back on. Sometimes I usually get an error message...like something is wrong. Other times I would restart my computer myself and then I would get an error message.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check the video card drivers

nnaso

nnaso

• Pip
  • 9 posts
This is a video card issue. There is a temp sensor on the video card on the mobo. Probably overheating on you. Are you sure your vid card is compatible with your board? I'm sure it is but it might not hurt to make sure you are 100% positive. Have you tried using any other vid cards?

This is definitely a vid card issue. Open the case next time it shuts off and you will see how hot it is.

MyCompRestartsOnMe

MyCompRestartsOnMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

This is a video card issue. There is a temp sensor on the video card on the mobo. Probably overheating on you. Are you sure your vid card is compatible with your board? I'm sure it is but it might not hurt to make sure you are 100% positive. Have you tried using any other vid cards?

This is definitely a vid card issue. Open the case next time it shuts off and you will see how hot it is.

That's my next plan of attack. I'm gonna bring down the voltage to 1.35 if it stil restarts then to 1.30. If it still restarts after that, I gonna switch vid cards with a friend. The vid card is 100% compatible or should be unless its a fautly video card.

If its the video card overheating...wouldn't it shut down instead of restarting???

MyCompRestartsOnMe

MyCompRestartsOnMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
So my computer just restarted on me while playing WoW. Same thing happened, I ALT+TAB out of the game to search for info on a quest. I have acouple things running in the background, such as aim, winamp, and a downloading client. I ALT+TAB out of the game fine acouple times but then I guess it was the last straw and my computer restarted when i tried to get back into the game. It would go to a blue screen for less then a second. Enough time for me to know it was a blue screen but not enough to see what it says (like a mila-second). It loaded windows just fine with no error messages and I'm about to restart to see if there will be one coming.
I lowered my voltage to 1.34 (it should be between 1.30-1.35).
I updated my video driver to the latest one they had on evga.com
I just got my processor today because I sent it in thinking that was the problem but the guy said its fine. I don't know what else to do....please help!?!?

SpectreNZ

SpectreNZ

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
430 Watts is a small PSU for a system like that. Have you tried unplugging some of your drives?

MyCompRestartsOnMe

MyCompRestartsOnMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I just restarted my computer and didnt get an error message which is strange because I usually get one...

430 Watts is a small PSU for a system like that. Have you tried unplugging some of your drives?

I guess I'll try that....it wouldn't hurt....THANKS!!!

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Ok Saying that you see a blue screen for a second, were gonna haft to turn off Automatic restart to see what that blue screen of death is saying.

Right click My Computer
Scroll down to Properties
Click the Advanced Tab
On the Start-up and recovery, click settings
Uncheck Automatic Restart

It will now tell us what the message says instead of rebooting.

Advertisements

MyCompRestartsOnMe

MyCompRestartsOnMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Ok Saying that you see a blue screen for a second, were gonna haft to turn off Automatic restart to see what that blue screen of death is saying.

Right click My Computer
Scroll down to Properties
Click the Advanced Tab
On the Start-up and recovery, click settings
Uncheck Automatic Restart

It will now tell us what the message says instead of rebooting.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you’ve seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information

*** STOP: 0X000000D1 (0X805C9C46, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0XB819DE3B)

*** NOWMEMDF.SYS – Address B819DE3B base at B81D000, DateStamp 4368229b

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

any thoughts???

Edited by MyCompRestartsOnMe, 14 October 2006 - 04:10 PM.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Ah I see this before
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

It has something to do with a kernel overflowing

Let me research that for you and I'll get back to you.

MyCompRestartsOnMe

MyCompRestartsOnMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
kk thanks!!!! tell me what you fine out!!!

racinmason001

racinmason001

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Boot from xp cd , select repair. When c: prompt comes up type - CHKDSK and press enter . wait until it finishes scan .
At the next c: prompt type- FIXBOOT .

I have seen alot of people say this is the most annoying error you can get. It happened to my desktop so I did the above directions and it hasen't happened since. I too was playing a game when this happened so maybe its a video card driver I don't know?

MyCompRestartsOnMe

MyCompRestartsOnMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Boot from xp cd , select repair. When c: prompt comes up type - CHKDSK and press enter . wait until it finishes scan .
At the next c: prompt type- FIXBOOT .

I have seen alot of people say this is the most annoying error you can get. It happened to my desktop so I did the above directions and it hasen't happened since. I too was playing a game when this happened so maybe its a video card driver I don't know?

okay i just did this...now just wait and see I guess...I'll keep you guys updated!

Would this solution be a real solution as in the problem is fixed or is it that it's just ignoring it???

Edited by MyCompRestartsOnMe, 14 October 2006 - 08:48 AM.