Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Restarts

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
If you don't have anymore restarts ...then its fixed

Advertisements

racinmason001

racinmason001

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
No problem should be fixed unless you have a malfunctioning component like ram or gpu.

MyCompRestartsOnMe

MyCompRestartsOnMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Bad news....it did it again....

This time my computer was on for about 7 hours at idle. I just got home and tried to start up WoW and it went to the blue page saying the same thing. It can't be the cpu because I sent it in to be checked and they said it was fine.

Yield22, did you find anything???

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Stop 0x000000D1 Error Message W

When you shut down your computer that has one or more universal serial bus (USB) devices attached to it, you may receive the following error message on a blue screen:

Stop 0x000000D1 (0x00000040, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xfc96a9dc

Perform RAM Error Checking

Quite often, stop errors are associated with dud RAM. That includes main memory, video and CPU cache memory. If you have more than one stick of RAM, start ripping the sticks out one at a time. If you only have one stick, you will need to find someone who can help you out with a spare stick that fits your machine.

Perform Virus Checking

Perform Disk Error Checking

Corrupt disk volumes and viruses can cause all kinds of stop errors.

Getting Desperate

Remove any new hardware such as RAM, hard disks and modems, etc.

Disable any new drivers and remove any recently installed software.

Disable all BIOS caching and speed-up options.

Disable power management.

If you are over-clocking, don't.

Try a standard Microsoft VGA driver.

Ensure drivers and BIOS are the latest versions. Visit the manufacturer’s website and try to locate up to date drivers.

last ditch

Disable any disk intensive applications such as antivirus software, defragmenters and backup programs.

Check Event Viewer to see if there are any additional errors or warnings that might provide a clue.

and you need to run memtest 86 + to test your ram...

http://www.memtest86.com/

Edited by happyrck, 14 October 2006 - 05:32 PM.

MyCompRestartsOnMe

MyCompRestartsOnMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
No viruses...did a whole new reformat to try and fix the problem but didn't work.
No USB devices attached to my system.
I don't suspect my hard drive to be the problem but I'll check it as a last resort.
Not overclocking...running at stock motherboard settings.
Can't really remove anything new on my system since everything is new except for the hard drives and the video card.
The bios is up to date...downloaded the latest one from asus.
I don't suspect the software to be the issue but I'll try it as a last resort too.

I'm running the memtest now. It's been running for 2 hours.

How long shoud I let it run for or will it finish by itself???

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
memtest will run until you press escape key.....if you can let run for 4 hrs or even overnite...has it had any errors yet.....also did you go into bios and set it to use VGA driver....

Edited by happyrck, 14 October 2006 - 11:06 PM.

racinmason001

racinmason001

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
this happens when you open a game right! I am leaning towards corrupt video drivers or even a faulty card. This is a new error to me I will research more on this ok.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if its not the ram ..then I think its the video card or the driver for it too

MyCompRestartsOnMe

MyCompRestartsOnMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

memtest will run until you press escape key.....if you can let run for 4 hrs or even overnite...has it had any errors yet.....also did you go into bios and set it to use VGA driver....

I let it run for 5 hours and it passed 13 times. What do you mean by set it to use VGA driver???

this happens when you open a game right! I am leaning towards corrupt video drivers or even a faulty card. This is a new error to me I will research more on this ok.

Yea usually when I'm playing games. Also it rarely happens when I leave my computer on for a long time and open up a video file. I've done a complete reformat many times thinking that it will fix it but it doesn't. The video card is used, which I brought from a friend. He ran it fine and I trust him. Corrupt video driver??? I downloaded the latest driver from eVGA.com and I still have the problem.

Seems to me like a faulty video card but is there anyway to test it to be 100% positive that it is the video card before I buy a new one???

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you said..."it rarely happens when I leave my computer on for a long time "...is the computer hibernating or going into standby...
if your ram passed 13 time without any errors we can eliminate the ram as a suspect

Edited by happyrck, 15 October 2006 - 12:01 AM.

Advertisements

MyCompRestartsOnMe

MyCompRestartsOnMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

you said..."it rarely happens when I leave my computer on for a long time "...is the computer hibernating or going into standby...
if your ram passed 13 time without any errors we can eliminate the ram as a suspect

Niether....My computer never goes on standby or hibernate, it's either on or off. I sometimes leave my computer on for hours while I'm out so I can finish the download I'm doing. Then I get home and everything is fine until i open a video file and my computer would restart (it only happened a couple of times or so). Other times I would get home, my computer has been running for like 7 hours, and I open up WoW and there goes the restart. There are other symptons as well, but it's already been listed in past post.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets try this...
How to determine whether a computer is using ACPI features
Hibernation and standby require a system BIOS that supports ACPI or the former Advanced Power Management (APM) specification. To avoid problems, review system documentation or see the manufacturer's Web site for information about how to determine whether the firmware is compliant and up to date. Updated firmware is especially important when you use the ACPI functionality.

To determine whether a computer is using ACPI features, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK.
2. In the Device Manager window, expand Computer, and then verify whether you can see the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC option. If you can see it, the computer is using the ACPI functionality.

MyCompRestartsOnMe

MyCompRestartsOnMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yea I can see it...ACPI multiprocessor PC

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets try this...Go to Control Panel,

Power Options,
Hibernate tab,
uncheck the Enable Hibernation box...then OK
then power schemes tab...toward the bottom...system standby...use the dropdown menu to select never...then OK your way out

MyCompRestartsOnMe

MyCompRestartsOnMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

lets try this...Go to Control Panel,

Power Options,
Hibernate tab,
uncheck the Enable Hibernation box...then OK
then power schemes tab...toward the bottom...system standby...use the dropdown menu to select never...then OK your way out

Like I said before, my system never goes on standby or hibernates so there's no point in doing this since it has already been set to it.