Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No 'Repair' option in XP setup

• Please log in to reply

AtomBomb

AtomBomb

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello people, I am new to all this PC stuff so please go easy on me.

Here goes: Once I boot up both my touchpad and keyboard are frozen (totally unusable). XP boots fine and all my settings and icons etc are fine but I cannot do anything!!!

I spend the best part of yesterday cruising this forum (at work) trying to find a solution and tried them all when I got home.
New optical USB mouse is identified ok but still unusable :rofl: .
I have tried an external keyboard:no change there :blink:
Boot in to SAFE mode:exactly the same problem :whistling:
RESTORE LAST KNOW GOOD CONFIG: cannot get past logon screen to find out :help:

The keyboard works fine in the BIOS screen as I tried changing the boot order a few times, many reboots: no change :) .

I read that perhaps a XP repair would be in order and fix my problem but when following the steps given here: http://www.geekstogo...p?showtopic=138 I do not have the 'repair' option.

I also tried these suggestions here: http://michaelsteven...pairinstall.htm

I am stuck and do not really want to to a fresh install of XP at this stage.

So come on people any suggestions are greatly appreciated and I will try anything once :lol:

Advertisements

Holy Marcell

Holy Marcell

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello and welcome to geekstogo,

1st:
Did you try a PS/2-Mouse, too? PS/2 is the green round input.

2nd:

I read that perhaps a XP repair would be in order and fix my problem but when following the steps given here: http://www.geekstogo...p?showtopic=138 I do not have the 'repair' option.

Am I right if I say, that your problem is in this step?

Posted Image

Please tell me, what you see on this screen and if there was a preinstalled Windows detected. (Thelower list, where you should select one of your preinstalled Windows).

regards, Holy_Marcell

AtomBomb

AtomBomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks 4 the quick response.
1: I do not have a PS/2 mouse port on my laptop but do have an 'PS/2 to USB' connector which I used with my PS/2 mouse. The hardware is detected ok 'As new USB device' is displayed in the bottom right of screen but is still unusable. The same thing happens with an external USB keyboard and USB optical mouse so I guess the USB drivers are ok??? My laptop touchpad is also usless.

2: You are correct it is at this stage when I do not have the 'R' option; I am at work now and cannot remember what the options are I recall that they were 2 of them. Something to do with Partitions and another neither of which looked that appealling. I can have a look 2nite and post exactly what it says 2morrow!

And yes there is a preinstalled version of XP in the selection window.

Thanks again, but I fear the worst on this one. :whistling:

Holy Marcell

Holy Marcell

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Ok,

maybe you should print out the instructions, to be sure, that you follow them correctly at home.

regards,

AtomBomb

AtomBomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have follwed the instructions up until this point:

The options I see instead of the screenshot above is:
I see a list of options that read something like this:

C: Partition2 [NTFS] [size xxxxxxxxx]
Unpartitioned space [size xxxxx]

All I am offered to do is click Enter to install, D to delete partition, F3 to quit .

Neither of which I wish to do until I knowthat they are not going to do a clean install of XP.

What can I do?

Cheers

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Have you tried save mode ?
As your computer restarts but before Windows launches, press F8.
On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press F8 when the boot menu appears.

Use the arrow keys to highlight the appropriate safe mode option, and then press ENTER.

If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access using the arrow keys, and then press ENTER.

AtomBomb

AtomBomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi,
Yes I have tried SAFE mode and I have exactly the same situation where I cannot do anything.
I have also tried Resotre Last known Config and I cannot get past the logon screen as my keyboard
and mouse and dead.
After accepting the Licence agreement I get this screen

'The following list shows the existing Partations + Unpartation space on this computer.

Use UP and DOWN to sleect an item

TO setup win xp on the selected item, press enter:
TO create a partation in the unpartitioned space, press c
TO delete the selected partation, press d

C:Partition1 [NTFS]
unpartationed space'

It is here where I dont know where to go so I quit out.

The clean install day is looming closer. :whistling:

thanks

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

New optical USB mouse is identified ok but still unusable

Where is the old mouse

AtomBomb

AtomBomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I primarily use the touchpad on the laptop.... I do have a Ps/2 mouse (borrowed form work) and also a USB wirless optical mouse.....none of them work when plugged in although the computer does reconise a new USB device I cannot install it as the keyboard/ touchpad are not responding.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
What had you changed before this happened ?
Add any new software or hardware ? download any software updates?

Advertisements

AtomBomb

AtomBomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ok,
I have posted in another Forum and explained but neglected to do it here. Thisd is were you all say you silly boy.

Recently installed a new external hard drive to backup my stuff, since then was unable to see my CD-R/W drive on My computer . Found some help online which suggested removing some 'Upper' and 'lower' filters from here in my registry. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet/Control/Class/
It is here when I may have made a boo boo.

I did so and rebooted and I believe I can now see it (Because it attempt to access a disk when I insert it and asks me what I would like to do with it) great !
Since Then have this problem.

Cheers

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Lets hope you keyboard works in the command prompt
Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt
1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.
2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.
3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.
Pick a date before you know for sure you made any changes
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 11 October 2006 - 02:18 AM.

AtomBomb

AtomBomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Keyboard works fine in Command prompt as I have been tring to do just this command.
I am sure that I did this last night but I did it via the recovery console and nothing happened.

I will try it in SAFE mode with command prompt 2nite (which I guess is one of the options during startup?)

Thanks 4 the comments.

I will get back to you 2morrow as I am at work now.

AtomBomb

AtomBomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi ,
I phoned the wife and ran her through it.........
When I/she boots up into 'SAFE mode with command prompt' I/she cannot select any user (admin or otherwsie) as the keyboard and mouse/touchpad are still frozen so I/she cannot go any further.

I feel that I have tried everything that I have come across on all forums/help pages. It seems that I am going to have to do a clean install again aren't I??

Of course my wife is going to kill me but at least this time I managed to back up some of the more important stuff.

Anyone suggest anything else I will try anything now.

Thanks Again.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
have you unplugged the external drive
unplug all ad on's