Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No 'Repair' option in XP setup

• Please log in to reply

AtomBomb

AtomBomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
yep there anit nothing connected to the laptop.

:whistling:

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Make and model number of the laptop please
Does the laptop have a floppy drive If yes do you have access to a computer with a floppy drive

Edited by peterm, 12 October 2006 - 01:45 AM.

AtomBomb

AtomBomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
It is a 'Toshiba Equium A60 series'

I was soooo close to doing a clean install last night but I have faith.

Thanks

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
worse comes to worse
a clean in stall does not always mean you loose everything.

AtomBomb

AtomBomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Is that a fact..... good to hear.

If I do a clean install will I have to install all my SP2 updates that I have installed to date...and how do I do that?

I have been on this problem for a week or so now and I feel that the time has come to bit the bullet.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
What about floppy drive?

AtomBomb

AtomBomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
it does not have a floppy drive nor do I have an external one to try.
:whistling:

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Ok Atombomb
My guess is the computer came with what is called an OEM (original equipment manufactuer) installation.
Some of these do not come with a repair option.
Did you get a recovery disk with this computer.
if not do you have access to an xp cd plus your product number.
if we have to do a clean install 1 method is to pick the current install option listed without reformatting the drive
this should just reinstall the os without damage to the data.
The other option is to reinstall in another place then access the data and burn it to cd/dvd then reinstall.
If you have a recovery disk then it should give the option to reinstall without reformatting - but not all of them have this option. beware. you will need to reinstall all the programs again and all the updates.
If you can access to the screen where safemode is listed why can't you pick Last known good configuration?
or does the keyboard stop working here?
Want to try this
No repair option in xp
Cheers
Peterm

AtomBomb

AtomBomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

if not do you have access to an xp cd plus your product number.
if we have to do a clean install 1 method is to pick the current install option listed without reformatting the drive
this should just reinstall the os without damage to the data.
The other option is to reinstall in another place then access the data and burn it to cd/dvd then reinstall.
If you have a recovery disk then it should give the option to reinstall without reformatting - but not all of them have this option.

Hi peterm,
Keyboard and mouse are dead when booted up into 'restore last good known config' also. :blink:

I do have an OEM but it does not have the repair option (just restore to factory settings : no good)
I do have an xp cd (from my mate) but do not have my product number (i dont think so anyway). How could I get this? I have read stuff suggesting you can retrive this from the hard drive but it seems to require interaction with mouse and/or keyboard?
I thought that the recovery disk and the OEM where the same thing?

I will see what I have got and will run through the steps in the link you gave me (by Charile White) 2nite and let you know how I get on 2morrow. :whistling:

Thanks for the suggestions.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
restore to factory might be what we need
but try the other link 1st as a restore to factory MIGHT reformat the drive.

Advertisements

AtomBomb

AtomBomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I am pretty sure that a restory top factory does reformatt as I have had to do it before (before I really knew what I was doing) unklike now of course where I am sooooo much better :whistling:

until next time.....

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
a real stab in the dark
start the computer and go to the bios settings. The normal place is the 1st page for cmos settings and down the bottom of the page it has Halt On settings what is this set to? can you change it no errors or all but keyboard
see what options are there. as I said a real stab in the dark.

Edited by peterm, 12 October 2006 - 08:39 AM.

AtomBomb

AtomBomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I will give that a go 1st.

As i said I'm going to try as much as possible....Defeat is not an option (yet!)
Later.

AtomBomb

AtomBomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ok where did we get to.

I ran through the steps given here http://webcast.broad...afterinter=true
but only got past step 1 and when it came time to reboot it got so far (last screen before the descktop) but camr up with this error

'lsass.exe.'

'when trying to update a password this return status indicated that the vaule for the current password was not correct'

Then the laptop reboots and does the same thing (stuck in this loop) without any input from me.

The good news is that at this screen both the touchpad and keyboard are responsive but I can only select ok to this message and it reboots.

I then tried to get bcak into the recovery console but this time (unlike before) when prompted for the administatror password when I just hit enter before it now says 'The password is not valid...please retype the password'. this happen 3 times before a restart is requested.

I guess it has alot to do with the '..\..\security' changes made in step 1 but because I have never had a admin password.

The laptop is breathing again but bearly.

Any more instructions/steps I can take at this stage ?

Thanks again.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Not good
Have a look at this. I think we try to get to safe mode command prompt and try the instructions.
Sasser
Got the link to Microsoft from this article.
Sasser1
Does not mean it is sasser but worth a shot.
I take it the cmos setting for the keyboard came to nothing. Can you enter via safe mode?

Edited by peterm, 13 October 2006 - 01:22 AM.