Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No 'Repair' option in XP setup

• Please log in to reply

AtomBomb

AtomBomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Even worse.... I cannot get into any of the SAFE modes it does exactly the same thing. It never gets to the desktop so its is not even on for 60 seconds as I have read.

Forgive my ignorance but can you get a virus even when not connected to the internet?
I am stil hopping that it is not the sasser virus but s**t knowing my luck it is.

What's next?

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Are you given the chance to enter the password ?
If yes then we can try the link I pm you with. If you dont have the option to enter a password then
we are out of options.
The cd you have is it an oem or retail?

AtomBomb

AtomBomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
If you mean do I get the chance to put in a password during normal logon then no i do not! In any boot (SAFE, last know good etc) I never get the chance to put in a password

I have an OEM product recovery disk that came with the laptop.

I also got what I believe to be a 'retail' cd from my mate: it is from this where I used to access the recovery console up until now (when the admin password is no longer the 'enter' key).
and from wich I could not find the 2nd 'Repair' option.

This is not looking good is it? :whistling:

I am primed and ready to jump into action. You say jump I say.......
:blink:

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
on broadcast newsroom page 2 it says
Go ahead and hit the number 1 on your keyboard, or whichever number corresponds to the operating system you were using when havoc struck. Enter your administrator password, and then hit enter. You're in! Now it's time to run with the big dogs! Do not be afraid, dear reader, I am here to help you. By the way, if you don't know your administrator password, just try hitting the Enter key, and if that doesn't work, well, there's a fix for that
Do you get this far and the option for the password?

AtomBomb

AtomBomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Yes I did and further.

I typed in all the commands with one small change descirbed below (as seen on the forum comments)

''''BUT---you need to update this line: copy C:\windows\repair\system C:\windows\system32\config\system

I had to change it to: copy C:\windows\repair\system.bak C:\windows\system32\config\system

Or it would not find it!'''

This was the same for me too so I changed the command as described.

It was after this when in step 2 trying to reboot I get the Isass.exe error and get stuck in the reboot cycle.
And also after this step when I can not get back into the recovery console as I said the admin password that used to be 'blank' i.e. enter key it is now no longer valid.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Did you try the link I sent to you in a pm

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Read this
I have only just started to read this. I have to go to work but will get back to it as soon as I can
Same error message
Cheers
Peterm

Just read this it is the same as we just tried I think if that link I gave via the PM did not work (did you try it?)
Then it is time to JUMP
Sorry
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 15 October 2006 - 01:31 AM.

AtomBomb

AtomBomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
HI Peterm,
Firstly thank you for your efforts in trying to resolve this/my problem. :blink:
I feel that I come to the end, not being able to get back into recovery console and all other things seemingly against me I deceided to take the easy/cowardly option and do a Restory to factory settings.

I am now back up and running (as I use my laptop to write this). I did have most things backed up and was a realtively painless excersie to get back to a familair state.

I have certainly learned a few things from this event and will take all steps necessary to ensure that if any such thing should happen again I will be ready for it and raring to get at it.

Thanks Again :whistling:

P.S U know I have been meaning to give blood for a while now (since I stopped a certain pasttime about 9-10 months ago) so I might just do that.

Later
AtomBomb

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Atombomb
Glad you got going - Thats why I said lets Jump.
out of interest did you try that password link I gave you?
As if it worked I can pass it on.
I wish I knew you had a backup.
Can I suggest Nortons Goback.
Cheers
Peterm

AtomBomb

AtomBomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
hi Peterm,

I have to say that no I did not try the link or rather could not as the 'beings that be' at my work would not allow access to that webpage so I cannot say anything about its contents.

Yeah I have most of my stuff backed up but lost a few weeks of stuff primarly pictures. :-(

Thanks Again.

I am still learning every day now!!

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
if you did not format pics should be there

AtomBomb

AtomBomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
???!!!???

The install reformatted my c: drive but I'm listening.........

AtomBomb

AtomBomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Only teasing !!

:whistling: