Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

winword.exe error message

• Please log in to reply

RADMAN

RADMAN

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Just recently we have been unable to use our microsoft word 2000 software program. Whenever we try to run the program an error message is generated which says:

WINWORD.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program.
An error log is being created.

I have tried to re-install the software without any change in the problem. Also ran antivirus program and checked for sasser worm, all negative.

Do you have any idea what the problem is?

Thanks,

Radman

Advertisements

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
Welcome RADMAN!

By any chance, do you have WinFax Pro on your computer. If so I may have a solution to your problem.

ditto

RaddMann

RaddMann

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Fake Radman,

I was reading on the internet tonight and noticed that other people who have
had this problem searched for a file called normal.dot using the search function.

Once you find normal.dot you should delete any copies of it (word will recreate this file). That may fix your problem. Other things have also worked such as removing
all winfax templates.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

The real RaddMann

RADMAN

RADMAN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ditto,

Thanks for the reply. I have the windows fax program which came with the computer, but never use it.

Real Raddmann,

I did the search for the normal.dot file with the Dell tech rep and didn't come up with this file. Thanks for looking.

Fake Radman

RADMAN

RADMAN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Real Raddmann,

I did the search for normal.dot again, and this time came up with a file that I deleted. This did the trick! Word seems to be working normal again.

Thanks,

Radman

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Two rad(d)man(n) in the same post. What are the odds!? :D

Thanks for sharing your fix, as it may help others having the same problem. <_<

RaddMann

RaddMann

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
We are actually both partners in the same Radiology group. I came up with the
name Radman a long time ago but was forced to change it to RaddMann in order to be unique. My partner independently came up with Radman. I had to bust his
chops a little.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
IC <_<

dasdgw

dasdgw

• Pip
  • 3 posts
What if you cannot find the normal.dot file? I found on the Microsoft web site an eraser. Not sure if I want to try this. Any suggestions? <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Are you able to view hidden files?

Advertisements

reyancy

reyancy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ditto,
In response to a user with the 'Winword.exe has generated errors and will be closed...' message, you said
"By any chance, do you have WinFax Pro on your computer. If so I may have a solution to your problem."
Well, I have WinFAX Pro. Could you provide the answer that you were going to provide if the other guy hadn't solved his problem by deleting the Normal.dot file.
Thanks,
REYancy

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
Hey reyancy,
You want to delete Wfword2k.dot. It is located in in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Startup folder. Or you can do a search for it by going to start->find/search.

ditto

reyancy

reyancy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ditto,
You are indeed The Man. That suggestion worked! Word loaded right up.
I know you are a busy guy, but if you get the time, please tell me why that trick worked and how was WinFax Pro involved. That knowledge might help me sometime in the future.

Thanks a million.

mmuthu83

mmuthu83

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have problems while clicking on frames in Word 2000. This came across not at all times, but at some times only. can u give some suggestions to get rid of the problem?

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
When the times that it does happne, are you running a high CPU percentage?