Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browser Problems

• Please log in to reply

Karen50

Karen50

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Anytime I log on to a server-like a games server, or even uploading something-I get logged off pretty easily. But if I use Firefox rather than internet explorer the connection is better, and I still will get logged off but not as quick. I like to upload files for family and friends but if I don't stay around the computer, it will not happen.

Any suggestions?

Thank You

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Are you on dial-up?

If so the, the server could quite possibly be set to auto-sense connection speeds and bump those with slow connections to allow room for those with faster connections.

Karen50

Karen50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I am sure its not dial up....it is broadband and I am connected on a local area network.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
So when you say you are getting "logged off" what exactly are you getting logged off of?

Are you getting a "page cannot be displayed" error?

Explain more what you are referring to as "logged off".

Karen50

Karen50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
page can't not be displayed when I try to upload a file on like a Yousendit.com

Or when I go to yahoo.ca games and get logged on to a server to play against others on the net, I will loose my connection and get logged off by it self.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Are you connected through a router or is the broadband modem connected directly to your PC?

If through a router are there any other PC's connected to it and if so do they have the same problem?

Are you able to instantly connect again or does it take a few minutes?

Do you have any other programs running when these errors occur?

Another starting point might be to set-up two persistent pings (ping -t <ip address>), one to your router and one to an IP address just outside your router. This way you can partially isolate where the problem is: inside or outside.