Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrade GRAPHIC CARD

• Please log in to reply

yellowfellow

yellowfellow

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hi

Ive got an old pc (4X AGP), and id like to play call of duty 2 on it
the only problem is; videocard is crap.
nvidea geforce 4 64mb 4X agp

So i put in a ati radeon 9250 with 250mb. (4X/8X AGP)
Playing was zuite nice, besides graphics was very weird.
then i discovered that the graphiccard was getting overheated.
even the connections began to melt.
So i searched the internet for a while, and discovered that most graphiccards uses 0.8Voltage.
My pc 3Voltage.
So that sure is unlucky.

Now i dont have an alternative graphiccardslot. im forced to use a PCI graphic card.
should i buy a PCI graphic card? Or should i build a new pc.
(i dont want to risk buying a wrong card again)

thx!
yellow fellow

P4 1.6 ghz 256 kb cache
512 mb ram
4X AGP

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I really think you would be much happier with a new computer to play games with. I am not able to find good parts for the older computers anymore. They are out there but i find many are refurbished parts and about half of them still dont work right. So i decided that i will only upgrade the older computers because i am wasting the customers money and a lot of my time trying to keep them running.

A motherboard/cpu kit will eventually cost you about as much and a new computer because you will have to upgrade the video card and the memory along with the MB and cpu. So you have ended up with $400 in new parts and still have the old case, PS, HD, cdrom drives and cables. Just a little more money and you have all new parts.

Something similar to this computer would really get you going for a few years.

http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=2404

SRX660

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
i'm sure you could build exactly the same computer yourself for maybe 3/4 the price, and there's a bit more fun involved also!!

ry

yellowfellow

yellowfellow

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hi

thx for replying

now there s a new problem, my dad just doesnt allows me building one...
Ive told them that building is much much cheaper, and its indeed also really fun.
My mum thinks its ok, but my dad still doesnt agrees.
buying a new pc is definitely not an option.

Im desperate...

help . . . _ _ _ . . .

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well, you could fib a little and tell your dad that you plan on taking computer engineering in college. So building a computer from parts now is a way for you to get a head start on understanding computers. And, of course, it may not be a fib at all for you may want to do that if you really get interested in computers.

SRX660

P.S. I've never been able to build cheaper than the big companys can sell them for. The reason i started building computers is that no one wanted to sell me a computer the way i wanted it for less than $2000 so i built it myself for around $1400. Yes, it was cheaper, but that was only because i wanted specific hardware that was of higher grade than 99.9% of the factory computers. At the time i could have bought a brand new pentium 233 computer for around $700. in fact that is when i bought my wife a Packard-Bell Legend 1750 computer for that price. My pentium 200 custom built computer was faster than hers.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 11 October 2006 - 10:59 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its cheaper when you consider power/price ratio usually to build and a built system generally has a longer lifetime. Big companies use parts that are much cheaper than anything you can buy retail even if you were buying bulk the main reason is they buy whatever is going cheap. If you go to quality system builders building your own is usually a little cheaper as you dont need to charge yourself labour.

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Its cheaper when you consider power/price ratio usually to build and a built system generally has a longer lifetime. Big companies use parts that are much cheaper than anything you can buy retail even if you were buying bulk the main reason is they buy whatever is going cheap. If you go to quality system builders building your own is usually a little cheaper as you dont need to charge yourself labour.

yeah too right, manufacturers use seriously cheap parts!!

such as they may say we give you 1GB of ram but its the cheapest and slowest RAM possibly available on this earth!!!

Build your own dude!!!!!

ry

yellowfellow

yellowfellow

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hi

thx for all ur suggestions!

I already know how to build a pc, i know which parts r necessary.
ive already set up plans, suggestions and hardwarelists to show my dad, trying to persuade him without any results.
I often check hardware websites for nice stuff and go to pc shops without buying anything.
Another thing is, im still at secondary school. I can't decide to buy expensive things.
And i havent got an excuse to build one via school, i havent chosen subject ict.

whatever, ill be in college in 2 years.
should i wait two years before building one?

yellow fellow

PS im quite interested in in a amd athlon 4000+. Because of the dual core recently, single core prices have decreased a lot. also ive found a nice mainboard, its got agp and pcie, so i can put in the 8* agp thing in it (i almost fried it) and upgrade later if i want to. power supply is cheap. i already got old hd's and a dvd drive, so as memory. os isnt a problem. got mouse and keyboard. the only problem is a screen...

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
hey its ok mate

how old r u?
just go ahead and make all these plans to show ur dad how much u know and how knowledgeable about the subject you are!

and i also am in Secondary school (year 13) and i took ICT but that does not once teach about the insides and workings of a computer, its just about databases and rubbish!!

so u don't need to of taken ICT to have a reason to make a PC!!!
and looking at ur posts you seem to know ur stuff!!!!!

i have Call of Duty 2 and think its a totally kick [bleep] game!!!
and i don't know the answer for you about the 'should i wait' question, that is for you to decide

You could go ahead and buy a Pentium Dual Core processor and compatible motherboard so that your new machine is 'future' proof or could just buy a single core processor for the time being; just to keep you going!

ry

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well he couldnt just go out and buy one and why would you want to get a pentium, pentiums suck pretty bad.

Also theres only a couple of boards that support AGP and PCI-e and they are pretty naff so i wouldnt reccomend that and with dual core prices being so low buying single doesnt make sense.

Advertisements

yellowfellow

yellowfellow

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hi

stupid me, ive forgotten to name the pc case too, whatever.

im 15 years old, ill be soon 16.

for single core, amd rules. its technology is much more advanced than intel.
but for dual core, intel rules. intel dual core is more efficient than amd
that's why amd dual cores are much cheaper.
i think im going to wait untill november
'cause then the intel quadcore will be on the market
amd will present his quadcore approximately in june.
And when the intel quadcore comes out, the dual cores will be lowered in price too!
brilliant! because i dont want to spend too much money on expensive hardware.
Because dual core is the future, single core is much cheaper now then a year ago.
No, i dont want a duron, sempron, celeron or whatever. that s sad.
cod2 is really cool, i hope cod3 will come out for pc too...

but whatever happens on the market, i still dont have a clue how to be able to play cod2.
still got hardware problems...
do u think a PCI graphic card can cope cod2?

yellow fellow,
From Holland

yellowfellow

yellowfellow

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hi ryan

its nice to meet a young pc fan!
most young folk are more interested in games only rather than pc and games.
its true about the ict lessons.
in the beginning; word and excel, how fun.
than visual basics and html.
but there isnt anything about the hardware.
ur totally wright. but i couldve used it as an excuse...

people like u r rare in holland, go on with learning and being interested in pc's!

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
It will be very difficult to find a PCI graphics card that will make COD2 enjoyable. This is probably going to be your best option:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814103016

or you can go with one of the PCI nvidia 5200 cards. Either way, you're going to want something with DX9 support. Read some reviews and they should help you decide.

yellowfellow

yellowfellow

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hi

thx
but it's a little bit very expensive for me.

ill look for other pci graphic cards and read more reviews.

cu

yellowfellow

yellowfellow

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hi

ive found something; ati radeon 9250 128mb PCI
do u think i can run cod2 on it?
because the 8X AGP was a 9250 too, but with 256 mb instead.

yellow fellow