Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

how do i know if a laptop running windows me can be upgraded to XP

• Please log in to reply

maggiemae

maggiemae

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have my friends Sony VAIO here. I think she said it is about 6 years old. We are wanting to know if it can be upgraded to Windows XP. Thanks so much for your help. Never have used Me ...

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go!

This site will have the minimum requirements.

http://www.cit.corne...stem/winxp.html

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by jaxisland, 10 October 2006 - 08:29 PM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
since it is a laptop you should also check the sony website for that model to see if there are drivers available for windows xp... if not you may be able to put it on the computer ( if it meets the requirements as above) but may not be able to get all components working without drivers.... if you have a windows xp disk you can put it in the laptop and run the compatibility check also...

Matt T

Matt T

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
I believe there is a Compatitabilty Tester avaliable from Microsoft for Windows XP, you might have some luck looking around their website. Or I might be thinking about Windows Vista.

You could also try a free operating system like Linux if you don't already have Windows XP. You can try it out first using Live CD's that install nothing on your computer but are really great because they run from your CD drive and you can get the feel of Linux. The only downside is the speed of the Live CD is much much slower than the actual operating system. There are some good free Linux CD places that send CD's worldwide that come up in a Google Search.

Linux is also compatitable with most hardware and software :whistling:

~Matt :blink:

Edited by Matt T, 16 December 2007 - 09:06 PM.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
I am thinking about switching to Linux LOL.

Well the minimium requirements are

300 mhz or higher processor
64 mb ram (minimum) 128 recommended
1.5 gb for install on the harddrive.

Hmm about 6 years old. It SHOULD support it but you should post the specs.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You can find the compatability tester here.

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

In reality you cannot use microsoft's minimum requirements to really run XP on an older computer. XP does not like less than 256 mb of memory. Even at 256 i find it uses the swap file way too much so i always install 512mb. Processors ? Well i really would not install on less than a 1 gig processor and even then if you are video editing it can be pretty slow. I have had a 1 gig computer and a 2.2 gig computer side-by-side( exact same setups) and it shocked me how much longer the 1 giger took to open programs and run some of them.

SRX660