Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Irritating & constant Boot problems with XP.

• Please log in to reply

Cunny

Cunny

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is my first post. Hope someone can help!

Firstly, let me clarify a few things:

My laptop is Rock Pegasus Ti 1.8Ghz. Yeah, I'd never heard of Rock either.
I have no XP CD; my laptop came without one.
I do have a recovery disc, but it doesn't have XP files on it.
I have no floppy drive.

A couple of weeks ago while I was using my laptop, I got a blue screen of death and was asked to reboot. I did, it started making nasty grinding sounds and I got a message saying 'Boot Sector Invalid. Press H to try again or any other key for floppy'. Pressing H gives me the same message. When I opt for the floppy boot, I can use the recovery disc to set windows up, but then it tells me that no hard drives are found and that I have to reboot.

Sometimes I don't get the 'boot sector invalid' message, it just comes up the boot options screen (HD, Floppy or CD).

After the recovery CD finishes its business, I can sometimes start windows, but more often I just get the no hard drives message and have to reboot.

I can get to the recovery console through the recovery disc, but it tells me my administrator password is incorrect.

I've tried to install the recovery console when Windows is running, but after it confirms that its installed, the option to select it doesn't come up when I boot, even if I don't get any error messages - So I can't use fixboot, fixmbr, etc.

I've tried making a Slipstreamed XP + SP2 disc, but I keep getting errors concerning missing files whenever I try.

Windows is still working for now if I have some patience and reboot again and again, but the problem seems to be getting worse and it's getting more difficult to boot. I don't want to have to send my [bleep] laptop for repair yet again, and I think the warranty's expired now.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
you could give this a try

go start right on my computer and open it .....on c drive right click and click on properties select tools then click on check now make sure both boxes are checked then click start

if a black pop appears dont be alarmed you should see a flashing white bar ..type the letter y for yes hit enter reboot

let this proccess go through 5 stages

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Though the grinding noises could mean your hard drive is going to heaven ( or [bleep], that depends..-Did you use pirated software or treat it bad?) hope you can fix it though. have you screwed around with partitions on this machine?

-OCM770-

Cunny

Cunny

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for these - Tried the scandisk method. Haven't had the initial problem again since (which might not be saying much, it seems fairly random), but it failed to boot just now and I had to use the recovery CD to boot.

The grinding noises only happen just before it tells me the boot sector is bad, which isn't all the time - Fairly random, as I said. But it will usually fail an HD boot. first time.

I haven't touched partitions on the machine at all - I couldn't see the benefit.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
That seems like good news. :whistling:

-OCM770-