Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disabled User Has WinAntivirus PopUps Again & More!

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Sorry for the delay, what is the state of play?

Advertisements

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi there, your back! :blink:
I hope all is well.
Strangely enough after lots of hunting around here in Spain I managed to get a Serial ATA & IDE Combo Card this very night by Conceptronic from PC City. Man, did I get stung. :whistling: Don’t ask! Hope to fit it in tomorrow or Saturday. And shall transfer my must save files then. As soon as I have I will post you.
Regards,
Paul[/size]

Edited by paulinspain, 09 November 2006 - 04:51 PM.

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi Keith,
I expect you must get fed up with guys like me. Sorry.
I installed the Conceptronic Serial ATA & IDE Combo Card & drivers. No probs there. But the PC can’t see the SATA HD’s! I don’t understand it, as it\they don’t seem to power up either. :whistling: STRANGE. You can usually feel them kind of hum when their running like most things electrical. Any ideas?

Cheers, Paul

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is that cannot see them when the PC has loaded

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi Keith,
Well in the end a couple of things happened.
1st I took the adaptor card back & bought a SATA\IDE to USB case. Works a treat. :blink:
2nd Windows not found on either SATA HD!?? :)
3rd Reconnected the IDE HD to the slave connection on the IDE cable on my sons PC. Only this time, it showed up the HD as it hadn’t before. As two HD’s as it had been previously partitioned. It should have shown this before but didn’t. So I am at last copying the info I need saved from that partition. :whistling:

I also tried as a matter of interest to try & repair install XP with out the SATA HD’s connected, And part way through the repair I got a BSD with the following “A problem has been detected and Windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer. IRQL_NOT_LESS OR _EQUAL
Tech info *** STOP: 0X0000000A (0X00000010, 0X00000002, 0X00000001, 0X80811B36)”

I tried again & got the same as the above but the codeing was “*** STOP: 0X00000024 (X001902FE, 0XF898D18, 0XF898D214, 0X0003A000)” :help:

I don’t really know what this means but thought it may help to reset the CMOS and have left it at that on my PC.

The hard drive with XP PRO is back on Theo’s PC attached as a slave HD. The strange thing here is it’s attached as the say E drive as it’s connected as a slave but it is showing up as “C” drive! The other partition on the drive is showing up as “G” that has got me puzzled I must admit.

Anyway by the time you reply to this I will be awaiting your kind instructions,
Kind Regards,
Paul

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
So are you in a position to copy all the data you need from your drive, if so, it can go back in to its PC and you can use boot and nuke before installing XP

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi Keith,
Just a quick one b4 I go to bed.
I nhave read the instructions however, should I copy BOOT & Nuke to a Floppy disk or burn to a CD? OR is a flash USB2 Flash drive as good? Which is going to be easyest?
Cheers
Paul

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It can go on a floppy, best to mark it clearly and keep away from the PC once you have run it

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
[size=5]Hi Keith,
Sorry to bother yourSunday.
Well it’s truly a sunny day here in Alicante & 260 C as well! Not bad for this time of year. Well I have just got in and reread the BOOT & Nuke Instructions, & was just
about to start Boot & Nuke with a little trepidation when I saw that “DBAN erases the partition table, which causes all drive letters to disappear.” So I guess that I need to remove & save items I want from the partitioned “E drive” on the SAME HD as “C drive”. Am I correct in my assumption?
Cheers,
Paul

Edited by paulinspain, 12 November 2006 - 08:53 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot and Nuke will clear everything from the drive

I get temperatures like that when the oven is on :whistling:

Advertisements

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Ha, Ha,
It was supposed to read 26 C with the 0 superscripted. I must admit though Keith, in August it often feels like an oven here. But this year it was not the case. But the weather among other things is why we are here after all. Anyway I’m off to the land of backing up my E Drive now. Speak to you later,
Paul

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

Old Malware Surgeon with a shaky scalpel

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
The degree sign, ° like that is achieved with ALT248, that is hold down the ALT key and type 248 on the keypad, release the ALT key et voila!

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi Phil,
How was your holiday? Thanks for the advice re ALT248. I am shocked to say the least that you are keeping tabs on me still. I thought you had passed me on to keith and that it was "adios para ahora amigo". I am pleased that you are checking up on me it's nice that there is a good family feel with you guys. More than I can say for some other sites. Anyway 23.33 here in Spain & I'm of to bed. Looking forward to more chats with you when you have time. Goodnight to you & Keith, Regards,
Paul

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

Old Malware Surgeon with a shaky scalpel

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Hello Paul

My holiday was good. I was in Lagos, on the Algarve.

I know what you mean about the family feel at this site, with that in mind I'll leave you in the capable hands of my father, Keith :whistling: :blink:

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Good morning Keith,
Well that’s my HD Boot & Nuked well & truly. At last! :whistling:

I think I understand, that I have to treat this HD not just as a new HD but a totally blank HD. So where do we from here King Wosabi?

Rgds,
Paul