Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Disabled User Has WinAntivirus PopUps Again & More!

• Please log in to reply

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi Keith,
Just checking to see if you are around.
Paul

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It should install straight off, the one thing to watch is that it is creating a RAW1 partition on C if you are only having one

If the drive letter is different then press the restart button and it should default to C

If you are having partitions then it should install as usual

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
OK, Great.
About to get on the case, just a couple of things. Should I connect my SATA HD's at this point? (about to install WINDOWS XP PRO) Will the instalation not wipe them clean? Should I also reinstall the SATA software when it ask's?
Ready & waiting to turn the beast on,
rgrds
Paul

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I would install it with only the drive you are putting XP on, but install the sata drivers as well if you are going to add drives

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hello again Keith, :blink:

Well I would like to say it went well & indeed it has to a degree. I partitioned the HD into two (Splitting the 160GB), I labelled the C: Drive which set-up told me to do, & thought SET-Up would do E: Drive automatically as it didn’t give me a further option, plus I also did a full Format on C:. However C: Drive only shows 74.5GB & there is no E: Drive! :whistling:

Where do I go from here to resurrect the E: Drive Keith?

Also is this a good time to update the Bios or should I have done that before I installed XP?
The Mobo is an Abit NF7-S with the bios dated I believe, having checked it through “System Information” as 24/07/2003.

I await your reply with keen interest.

Thanks for your kind patience,

Paul

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The BIOS should not have affected anything if it is the same one you already had when you set up the previous partitions

You could try this, free at the moment, ignore the time limited bit, though click the registration link in the page

http://www.vnunet.co...on-manager-2005

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hello!

Well Paragon Partition Manager 2005 looks & sounds the biz but I cant get it to download, have even tried to use "save as" but still no joy. Do you know of another like it? Will it pick up the part of the HD thats not showing?

Cheers
Paul

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you get the registration link to work, if you can and register it, I will get the file for you

You could check in disc management to see if it shows anything there

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Have filled in the application for the registration licence. Am waiting for it as I type.
Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Am uploading the file now, will PM the link as the file is only any good with the registration

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have PM'd the link

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi Keith,
Thanks I have downloaded the file AOK. Still waiting for the licence number to be sent. I expect that they will send it tomorrow am. Shall let you know when we are ready to proceed. In the mean time Thankyou,
Paul

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi Keith,
I'm back at last. I got the licence about an hour ago after I sent their support department an email. :blink:
Well the Partition Manager has found the missing part of the HD. I am trying[i] to format it as NTFS but cannot work out how to change it from *: Drive to E: Drive . Any ideas? :whistling:

Or do you have some step by step instructions for me to follow, because I havnt had to do this befor and it all looks like a new science to me, though once I can work out how it goes correctlly it falls into place. I look forward to your input,
thanks a lot,
Paul

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi paulinspain...

When you open the partition manager (Paragon), are all the drives listed as they are for my machine in the image below?
sshot_3.png
I'm fairly new to this program, as well, so the more information you can give me the better. A screenshot of the Paragon window would be very helpful if you can manage it.

wannabe1

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi Guy’s,
Sorry I have been away so long. We had Gail force winds up here for a few days so the telephone system went down, hence internet was down for 6 ridiculous days. I guess that’s one of the problems we have to face for living up here in the mountains.

Well Telefonica have sorted it now at last.

Sorry I missed your request for screen/window images.

What I did manage to work out was how to format the second partitioned part of the hard drive into NTFS & as Drive “E”. How? To be honest I was able to partition the 2nd part of the drive into NTFS using Paragon Partition Manager 2005. Then I reinstalled XP Pro again, which this time saw the second partition & I simply renamed it durring the setup. There was an awful lot of trial & error on my part I can assure you but I got there in the end.

My system is now partly up & running in XP Pro I’m pleased to say that it’s at least workable.

Now all I need to know if you can please tell me is how to reinstall my SATA mirrored array without deleting what’s on the SATA HD’s I’m afraid I didn’t note which was A & B drives. They have both the same information on them. So will hurt? Or should I wipe one clean & reinstall them that way without a mirrored array. Still how do I do this without losing my entire information?
Many thanks, Paul