Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

winword.exe?

• Please log in to reply

elementofprogress

elementofprogress

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Alrighty. I do not have Microsoft Word on my system.

Nor have I ever had it. Ever.

But when I go to the process list in Task Manager, it says the process, winword.exe is running. And it's a powerful little bugger. It will take up anywhere from 0-48% of my cpu, and 1,000 - 12,000 K of my memory.

Which, I suspect, is the reason for my computer's severe lags, especially since I normally only have Internet Explorer open. >_<

I have SpySweeper and McAfee VirusScan, neither of which find any problem with it. The computer claims that the winword.exe file is in C:\WINDOWS\system32, but alas, it's not there. It's not a hidden file, either.

I'm at the end of my rope here. Does anyone know anything about this. Because apparently, no one else does. :tazz:

Thank you very much in advance.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then search then type winword.exe, right click the file and rename to winword.exe.old and re-boot, if you do not get a problem leave it on the drive unless you need the room, as long as it stops hogging the CPU. You might get an entry in prefetch and you can delete that. If renaming does cause a problem just change it back

elementofprogress

elementofprogress

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
When I search for the file, it doesn't find it.

So is it just renaming it so I can't find it, or something?

It's really really obnoxiously annoying. :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open task manager, click winword.exe then right click then set priority to low. Click start then run then type msconfig then press enter then click start up and remove the tick from winword.exe then press apply, reboot and then tick the box to not start config