Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Mapping Network Drives over VPN

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
as a question....are they connecting to the lan before logging in when they're back in the office?

try connecting the pc to the lan....logging in and trying the connection...if it's not mapping correctly....log off (not restart) log back on and try again...any diff?

Advertisements

neora

neora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
i know .... it's ridiculously weird... Now i've asked the user to use the sername to map drives and so offsite and try using the servername and see if he can work fine with it...

we actually resorted to using the ip address in the beginning because he could reach the server using the servername. now if he could use that then everything would be solved. hope it works...

what is the effect of specifying and not specifying the the WINS server address in the client PC???

:whistling: dsenette... from ur avatar i see that u already have 4 eyes :blink:

neora

neora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
first the user had the laptop in standby when he came to the office and connected... then when it did not connect we tried logging off and logging back in... whne that also dint work we tried restarting the machine.... there...

the user is my boss and i feel so helpless and stupid infront of him....

on top of all this the network was also terribly slow.... found weird traffic from one pc...trying fix that too... argh!

:whistling:

Edited by neora, 13 October 2006 - 07:57 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
network administration...isn't it the best?

as far as WiNS is concerned....in my experience having the wins server set does help alot with network navigation and accessing things with actual names instead of ip...

neora

neora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
i have specified the WINS server in the Laptop and asked the user to try using the servername when on VPN... Hope this works *fingers crossed* .. Now we'll just have to wait till monday to figure know how it went...

Have a nice weekend dsenette... and thanks a lot..again... :whistling:

(edited for grammar)

Edited by neora, 13 October 2006 - 09:25 AM.

neora

neora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
i'm back and with more problems... the user tried using the servername to map drives over the VPN and was not successful.

and now when he came back to the office network it dint not let him login saying that the user is already logged in... if the ser is already logged in then whey would it prompt for a password.... i guess this is a never ending process... argh!

neora

neora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi

i was off sick and that is why the delay. The user can connect to VPN fine and ping the server by it's name. But when trying to map the drive using the Net use command then it gives the same error.It asks for a log in and when given it says the User already logged in. But if the user is logged in why is it asking for a login???

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
the "user already logged in" thing doesn't really make much sense...concidering that you can log a single user in on multiple machines in a domain at the same time with no issues...i wonder if that's more of a vpn thing....like they're not properly disconnectiong from the previous session...before they start a new vpn sessioin....or something like that...

neora

neora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
My user sent me this today morning

C:\Documents and Settings\user>ping servername

Pinging tollie.ecebs.com [aaa.bbb.ccc.xxx] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from aaa.bbb.ccc.xxx: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=127
Reply from aaa.bbb.ccc.xxx: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=127
Reply from aaa.bbb.ccc.xxx: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=127
Reply from aaa.bbb.ccc.xxx: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=127

Ping statistics for aaa.bbb.ccc.xxx:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 48ms, Maximum = 55ms, Average = 52ms

C:\Documents and Settings\user>net use L: \\servername\library
System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.

do u know why that's happening? it is pinging by the servername but when trying to use netuse it's got problems?

Sorry about the prev message. That's is what the user 'told' me the error was.

Thanx a lot for your patience.

neora

neora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi I'm back...

After a trial as suggested by a nice person from another forum I disabled(0) the RequireSecuritySignature" key under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters in the win2k3 server.. when i did that it first worked. Next time it did not. Then when i checked the server i realised that the value i changed was set back to 1. Then from another article about SMB signing in windows supoort site i modified the group policy corresponding to the registry key. This seems to have solved the problem of the key resetting itself. The user has yet to get back to me on whether it works or not.. I'll will post back to confirm if this has actually solved the problem.
If what i have written is unclear please ask because I have not been keeping well and my brain has stopped working :whistling:

Cheers,
neora

edited for clarity

Edited by neora, 09 November 2006 - 09:42 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
wow...i'm glad you've posted that...cuz i never would have gotten there...something new every day eh?

neora

neora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
hehe ya... but i still won't conclude on that until i see the results(when the user gets back to me...fingers and toes crossed). But i have actually learnt a lot(still learning...arnt we all) in that area now... i think that's one thing that keeps the profession interesting... :whistling:

and thanks a lot dsenette for the support... you kept my spirits high by responding to my doubts... thanks again...

mean while i'll post back when i get the results.. gulp!

neora

neora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
:whistling: I'm back with bad news... well... it seemed to work in the beginning... the user went home.. fired-up the VPN... then ran the net use batch file to get the drive maps... he could ven sync the mirrored drives successfully...

he did the same thing second time... and he ran the net use batch file just to get..

System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.

hmmm now that could also be because of faulty connection ryt??? can authentication problems cause this???? this seems to be a never ending problem... :blink:

edited for mistakes.

Edited by neora, 15 November 2006 - 07:40 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
...i'd like to point my fingers at most of these problems being authentication related.....when they're logged in locally to the domain....everything should work...as far as the drive mapping etc...and if you authenticate correctly over a vpn it should work as well....

i'm still fishy on how your vpn authentication really goes....i mean...it seems like it's just trusting the local authentication from the machine once the vpn connection is initiated...which basically means you're preauthenticating then connecting (i.e. log onto the laptop to the domain account...then connect).....something like radius...might help clarify the authentication stuff...being that no matter how they authenticate locally on the machine they're using...they'll have to reauthenticate once connected to the VPN.. which will guarantee that the authentication took place and that the server knows about it...one would be able to assume that if there were a deffinite authentication structure such as radius or tacacs and that it were working as far as the authentication were concerned...but the drive mapping still failed..that it obviously wouldn't be related....

neora

neora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
hmmmm i assumed the same... since you were insisting on the etended authentication stuff in the previous posts i was researching compatibility to do a radius authentication. Unfortunately, the firewall/router we're using does not support that... it's high time we got a better device i guess...

now everyhting works locally... the authentication problem does not seem to be there locally after i made the registry/policy changes.

and u're ryt... it is just trusting the local authentication..user logs in domain user account and then connects to VPN...